Depending on whether you own a box truck to transport your own goods or you’re a for-hire trucker, you may require different types of box truck insurance. In this article we’ll explain what you need to know to get all the right box truck insurance for your situation and reveal the 6 best insurers for box truck insurance coverage.
- The 6 best box truck insurance companies
- What is box truck insurance?
- What kinds of businesses need box truck insurance?
- What kinds of vehicles can be covered by box truck insurance?
- What types of coverage do box truck operators need?
- Am I required to get box truck insurance?
- How much does box truck insurance cost?
- How to find cheap box truck insurance
- Amazon box truck insurance requirements
The 6 best box truck insurance companies
- InsurePro: Best for flexible pay-per-day trucking coverage
- Progressive: Best for discounted coverage
- biBERK: Best for low-cost box truck insurance coverage
- Commercialinsurance.net: Best if you want to work with knowledgeable experts for your own situation
- THREE: Best for comprehensive box truck insurance policy at affordable rates
- The Hartford: Best for box truck operators looking for a sound and ethical insurer
- Simply Business: Best for comparing quotes from multiple providers
InsurePro: Best for flexible pay-per-day coverage
InsurePro is a newer broker. They offer innovative business insurance coverage, which they call insurance on-demand. This means that you have the flexibility of buying trucking coverage for a short period of time, even just a day. It is also called pay-per-day trucking coverage.
This is perfect for part-time truckers or trucking businesses that may not haul every day of the month. Buying trucking coverage for a few days when you need it will help you save a lot of money since you don’t pay for the coverage when you are not on the road.
InsurePro also offers one of the best digital experiences. You can get quotes and buy the policy directly on their website, which only takes about 10-15 minutes. After buying the policy, you can manage your policy online using their dashboard with many useful features.
Progressive: Best for discounted coverage
Progressive may seem like a less than serious company because of its ongoing series of commercials featuring Flo. You might feel concerned about entrusting your box truck to the insurer.
The truth: It’s a reputable company that’s been offering vehicle insurance for more than 80 years and is the top commercial vehicle insurer in the United States, which is a sign that it’s doing something right. The company is known for its flexibility, great rates, and top-tier service.
Progressive is famous for its discounts, which could help you save on your box truck insurance. You can earn discounts for things like:
- Paying your premium in full rather than monthly or quarterly
- Bundling your insurance
- Having a safe driving record
- Avoiding making claims
- Allowing Progressive to track your driving in real time
- Agreeing to autopay.
Progressive makes it easy to get a quote online or get coverage through a licensed insurance representative.
biBERK: Best for low-cost box truck insurance coverage
biBERK is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway group, the parent of Geico, so it is safe to assume that they know how to run a low-cost vehicle insurance company. biBERK is the Berkshire Hathaway’s effort to enter small business insurance industry with its direct to customers business model. Similar to Geico, they offer small business insurance, including commercial truck insurance, direct to customers, bypassing agents and brokers. As a result, they are able to reduce costs and pass savings to its customers. In fact, biBERK claims that they are able to save their customers at least 20% on commercial truck insurance premiums.
biBERK is also one of a few companies offering an easy and fast online quotes. It shouldn’t take you more than 10 minutes to get a quote online with biBERK. If you are happy with the quote, you can proceed to buy the policy and manage the entire policy online as well.
Commercialinsurance.net: Best if you want to work with knowledgeable experts for your own situation
Commercialinsurance.net is national business insurance broker. They work with a wide network of agents in all corners of the industry. However special and unique your own situation is, they will be able to find and match you with an agent who is the most knowledgeable and expert for your field.
Another advantage of working with commercialinsurance.net is that their agents have to compete for your business. That ensures that the agents will make their best efforts to serve you. All of their agents are independent agents, which means that they do not represent just one carriers, instead they work with several carriers and will get several quotes for you to compare and choose the best and the cheapest one for you.
THREE: Best for comprehensive box truck insurance policy at affordable rates
THREE is another subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway and another effort to enter small business insurance industry of the group. They offer a unique and different product. THREE believes that all small and medium businesses, including trucking ones, should have all of their proper protection, in one policy and the policy document shouldn’t be more than 3 pages , and without insurance jargons or fine print exclusions.
As a result, THREE box truck insurance is a very comprehensive policy. And they are able to offer it at affordable rates because they also sell it directly to small business customers.
THREE also offers box truck insurance quotes online. It shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to get a quote and buy a policy online on THREE website. You should definitely give it a try.
The Hartford: Best for box truck operators looking for a sound and ethical insurer
The Hartford is one of the oldest companies of any kind in the United States. It’s been offering insurance solutions for more than 200 years and has helped one million plus businesses with their insurance needs. The company takes pride in the fact that the Ethisphere Institute named The Hartford a World’s Most Ethical Company twelve times. The Hartford’s longevity and focus on ethical business practices makes it a company that you can feel good about doing business with.
The Hartford’s dedicated and highly experienced small business team is available to help company owners explore their commercial insurance options. If you decide to purchase insurance from The Hartford, you can rest assured knowing you’re entrusting your business to a strong, stable, knowledgeable, and ethical provider.
Simply Business: Best for comparing quotes from multiple providers
The surest way to get good box truck insurance while saving money on your coverage, is to get quotes from multiple providers. The easiest way to do that is through Simply Business.
Simply Business is a cutting-edge insurance provider. The firm has developed its own state-of-the-art platform, based on its proprietary algorithms, to ensure it is able to connect box truck owners with the coverage they need at the most reasonable price. The platform makes it quick and easy to get quotes from several providers at once, making it possible to compare coverage and premium prices from highly reputable insurers all on a single screen.
The firm’s experts have used their extensive experience to make sure you only have to input the information needed to generate quick and accurate quotes. The entire process should take less than ten minutes.
Once you get your quote, Simply Business makes it easy to purchase box truck insurance online or through an agent. When you get your policy through Simply Business, it’s simple to manage your coverage online, including downloading proof of insurance, filing a claim, renewing your coverage, and more.
Simply Business earns a 4.1 rating out of 5 on Trustpilot, which is very high compared to their insurance provider peers.
What is box truck insurance?
Box truck insurance is business insurance coverage for box truck drivers and businesses that depend on box trucks. It is a more specific commercial truck insurance, specifically for commercial box truck businesses.
What kinds of businesses need box truck insurance?
Many business types need box truck insurance to cover the risks associated with short-haul trucking. The most common industries include:
- Delivery and courier services
- Distributors and wholesalers
- Retail operations.
With the growth of online shopping, more types of businesses now offer delivery service and may need box truck insurance. Many types of small companies depend on box trucks for deliveries, such as bakeries and florists.
What kinds of vehicles can be covered by box truck insurance?
Box trucks are referred to by different names because of the type of cargo they carry or how they’re used. Some common types of box trucks include:
- Cargo cutaway
- Ice box
- Moving truck
- Reefer truck
- Sleeper box
- Tilt cab
If you’re not sure if your truck is considered a box truck, check with one of the insurers on our list.
What types of coverage do box truck operators need?
The box truck insurance coverages you need will depend on whether you carry products for your own business or work as a for-hire trucker.
Businesses that use box trucks to deliver their own goods typically purchase:
- Liability insurance, which covers injuries to other people or damage to their property if you’re found to be at fault in an accident while driving your box truck.
- Physical damage coverage, which pays for repairs to your box truck if you’re involved in an accident or it’s damaged because of a fire, weather, or other covered event. It also covers you if you’re the victim of a vehicle theft.
If you’re a for-hire trucker and your motor carrier provides your liability insurance, you may only need to purchase physical damage coverage along with other box truck insurance coverages like:
- Motor truck cargo insurance, which covers the goods you transport. Learn more at the best motor truck cargo insurance companies.
- Non-trucking liability insurance, which covers your truck when you aren’t hauling goods. Learn more at the best non-trucking liability insurance companies.
It’s also likely that businesses that own box trucks should get these two coverages, as well. The insurers on our list will be able to let you know for sure.
Am I required to get box truck insurance?
Yes. All states require commercial truck insurance for box trucks and other vehicles driven for business purposes.
Learn more about the details of box truck insurance requirements.
How much does box truck insurance cost?
The cost varies and is based on many factors. What you haul in your truck, your driving history, typical travel radius, and the specific coverages, all impact your box truck insurance costs. The three most important coverages that are either required by the state laws or by your clients, shippers or brokers and their average costs are as follows:
|Box truck insurance coverages||Average annual costs|
|Trucking primary liability coverage||$5,000-$14,000|
|Trucking general liability insurance||$300-$800|
|Workers comp insurance for truckers||$3,000-$5,000|
Learn more the details and nuances of how much box truck insurance costs
What’s important is that you get quotes from at least three insurers and compare coverages and costs to ensure you’re getting the best possible coverage at a fair price.
How to find cheap box truck insurance?
Box truck insurance is expensive, but there are ways you can save money so that it doesn’t break your bank account:
- Maintain a clean driving record if you are driving yourself or hire drivers with clean records
- Require driving logs
- Enrolling in a safe-driving program (apps, or other devices to monitor driving). If you are a safe driver, your premiums will decrease accordingly.
- Provide continual safety training and monitoring safety best practices
- Shop around and compare several quotes to find the best rates
- Maintain your vehicles regularly
Learn more at the cheapest commercial truck insurance companies
Amazon box truck insurance requirements
Amazon has a huge effect on practically everything, and the trucking industry is no different. Amazon now owns 40,000 semi-trucks, 30,000 vans, and 70 planes. If you want to drive for Amazon, there are a number of requirements you’ll have to meet.
- An active DOT number with interstate authority
- A Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) rating of “Satisfactory,” “None,” or “Not Rated.”
- Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Categories (BASIC) scores:
- Unsafe driving below 60%
- HOS compliance below 60%
- Vehicle maintenance below 75%
- Commercial general liability insurance of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate.
- Commercial truck primary liability from at least $1,000,000 million per occurrence, and at least $50,000 for trailer replacement coverage
- Cargo coverage of at least $100,000
- Workers compensation insurance in compliance with the state your company operates from
- Employer liability insurance of at least $100,000 per occurrence
Best box truck insurance in all 50 states and Washington DC
Box truck insurance is a type of commercial truck insurance, that is the reason why you sometimes see another similar term, commercial box truck insurance being used as well. As we know, commercial truck insurance requirements vary by state and different companies operate in different states. If you are interested in finding the best box truck insurance companies in your particular state, although we haven’t done enough research to figure out that level of specifics, we have developed the list of best commercial truck insurance companies in all 50 states and Washington DC below for your consideration. Click on the link embedded in the name of the state will take you to the best commercial truck insurance companies we recommend in that state: