There are 172,000 people working as truck drivers in Texas. 15 out of 1,000 every jobs in Texas belong to truckers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, the state leads the United States when it comes to fatal truck accidents. More than 13 percent of all fatal trucking incidents in the United States took place on Texas roads, despite it being home to less than eight percent of the country’s population.
Where it is in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or El Paso, It is crucial for any trucking companies to have commercial truck insurance in Texas. Commercial truck insurance can help you handle the costs associated with damage to your truck, other vehicles, and lawsuits related to injuries and deaths stemming from collisions. Commercial truck insurance in Texas is expensive but it is required if you work as a trucker.
Finding the right commercial truck coverage in Texas can be challenging. In this article, we’ll recommend you the top 7 providers of commercial truck insurance in Texas:
- The 7 best commercial truck insurance companies in Texas
- What is commercial truck insurance?
- Do I need commercial truck insurance in Texas?
- What coverages are required for interstate truckers?
- What types of trucks are covered by commercial truck insurance?
- What kind of coverage is needed for a pickup truck in Texas?
- How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Texas?
- How do I find cheap commercial truck insurance coverage in Texas?
The 7 best commercial truck insurance companies in Texas
We’ve done the homework for you. Here are the top 6 best commercial truck insurers in Texas and the pros and cons of each.
- Progressive: Best Overall for Texas truckers
- Simply Business: Best for comparing several quotes of Texas commercial truck insurance
- InsurePro: Best for flexible pay-per-day trucking coverage
- National Independent Truckers Insurance Company (NITIC): Best for independent truckers in Texas
- The Hartford: Best for being a highly ethical insurer
- biBERK: Best for cheap commercial truck insurance from a reputable carrier
- Smart Financial: Best for connecting you with knowledgeable agents
Progressive: Best Overall for Texas truckers
Progressive is a reputable company that’s been offering vehicle insurance for more than 80 years and is the top commercial vehicle insurer in the United States. The company is known for its flexibility, great rates and top-tier service.
Progressive is famous for its discounts, which could help you save on your commercial truck insurance. You can earn discounts for things like:
- Having significant driving experience
- Earning a CDL certification
- Paying your premium in full rather than monthly or quarterly
- Bundling your commercial truck coverage with other coverage
- Allowing Progressive to electronically monitor your driving habits
- Agreeing to autopay.
Progressive is able to cover anything from a small single truck to a complete fleet of semis.
Progressive is a very large company. If you’re uncomfortable with large corporations, or you don’t like having a portion of your premium dollars going toward Progressive’s large television marketing campaign, it may not be the right insurer for you.
Simply Business: Best for comparing several quotes of Texas commercial truck insurance
Simply Business is a cutting-edge insurance provider. The firm has developed its own state-of-the-art platform, based on its own algorithms, to ensure it is able to connect small businesses with the commercial truck and other business insurance they need at the most reasonable price. The platform makes it quick and easy to get quotes from several providers at once, making it possible to compare coverage and premium prices from highly reputable insurers all on a single screen.
The firm’s experts have used their extensive experience to make sure you only have to input the information needed to generate quick and accurate quotes. The entire process should take less than ten minutes, even for coverage as complex as commercial truck insurance.
Once you get your quote, Simply Business makes it easy to purchase a commercial truck policy online or through an agent. When you get your commercial truck policy through Simply Business, it’s simple to manage your coverage online, including downloading a certificate of insurance, filing a claim, renewing your insurance, and more. This is especially great for truckers who spend a lot of time out on the road.
Simply Business earns a 4.1 rating on Trustpilot which is very high compared to other insurance companies and brokers.
If you prefer getting truck insurance coverage from a particular carrier that Simply Business doesn’t partner with, you are out of luck since Simply Business can only provide you with quotes from carriers that they partner with.
InsurePro: Best for flexible pay-per-day coverage
InsurePro is a newer broker. They offer innovative business insurance coverage, which they call insurance on-demand. This means that you have the flexibility of buying trucking coverage for a short period of time, even just a day, and you only pay for coverage when you are actually on the road.
This is perfect for part-time truckers or trucking businesses that may not haul every day of the month. Buying trucking coverage for a few days when you need it will help you save a lot of money since you don’t pay for the coverage when you are not on the road.
InsurePro also offers one of the best digital experiences. You can get quotes and buy the policy directly on their website, which only takes about 10-15 minutes. After buying the policy, you can manage your policy online using their dashboard with many useful features.
National Independent Truckers Insurance Company (NITIC): Best for independent truckers in Texas
NITIC is a commercial truck insurance company that specializes in insuring independent owner operators and small trucking fleets. The company has a B++ Rating with A.M. Best, an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and 4.9 stars on Google Reviews. That means you can feel confident NITIC is a solid organization financially and provides its customers with great customer service.
If you’re an independent trucker needing to insure a small fleet, NITIC could be the ideal provider for you.
If your fleet is too large, or you work in certain specialized types of trucking, you may not be able to get coverage through NITIC. Also, it has a solid financial security rating with A.M. Best, but it’s not as high as many of the other providers on this list.
The Hartford: Best for being a highly ethical insurer
The Hartford is one of the oldest companies of any kind in the United States. It’s been offering insurance solutions for more than 200 years and has helped one million plus businesses with their insurance needs. The company takes pride in the fact that the Ethisphere Institute named it a World’s Most Ethical Company twelve times. The Hartford’s longevity and focus on ethical business practices makes it a company that you can feel good about doing business with.
The Hartford’s dedicated and highly experienced small business team is available to help company owners explore their business liability and other commercial insurance options. If you decide to purchase insurance from The Hartford, you can rest assured knowing you’re entrusting your business to a strong, stable, knowledgeable, and ethical provider.
The Hartford is not known for being a low-cost insurer, so it’s coverage may be more expensive than other providers. It’s online systems may not be as easy to use as those of newer, tech based companies.
biBERK: Best for cheap commercial truck coverage from a reputable carrier
biBERK is direct-to-customer insurance company specializing in serving small businesses, including trucking ones. They are a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Geico’s parent company. Therefore, they benefit from a great reputation and excellent financial strength rating.
- Low-cost insurer backed by financially solid Berkshire Hathaway.
- Possible to save up to 20 percent on coverage.
- Good online insurance buying experience.
- Best for basic insurance needs.
- Difficult to customize coverage online.
- May not be able to get coverage for non-standard trucks.
Smart Financial: Best for connecting you with knowledgeable agents
Commercialinsurance.net is a national broker specializing in small business insurance, including trucking businesses. They offer a wide range of small business coverages for all industries. For trucking businesses, they offer all coverages that a truck owner operator or a trucking business would need. Whatever coverages you might need for your trucking business, you can find at commercialinsurance.net
One of the unique aspect of Smart Financial is that they partner with hundreds of agents across the country, who represent hundreds of carriers. These agents are experts in their field, knowledgeable about the specifics of each industry as they have accumulated years of experience helping tens of thousands of customers. Regardless how unique your trucking business is, you can count on Smart Financial to connect you with the most knowledgeable about your situation who will help you find the right coverages for your business at the most affordable prices.
If you prefer not talking to anyone on the phone and completing the entire truck insurance purchase process online, you’d better find another carrier or broker since Smart Financial will connect you with an agent knowledgeable about your specific situation.
What is commercial truck insurance?
Commercial truck insurance is a type of protection that is usually purchased by trucking businesses, people who primarily use trucks for work or companies that depend on trucks for doing business.
Commercial auto insurance covers all kinds of vehicles that are used for conducting business, which could include certain kinds of trucks. Commercial truck insurance is different in that it exclusively covers larger vehicles that are typically used for construction, contracting, or hauling freight.
Commercial trucking insurance is usually purchased by the owner of a company, but it covers the driver, passengers and any individuals harmed in an accident.
Do I need commercial truck insurance in Texas?
Texas state law requires truck drivers and businesses in the state that are dependent on trucks to maintain a minimum amount of liability insurance. How much that’s needed depends on the type of freight hauled and where you haul it.
What coverages are required for interstate truckers?
Some other coverages you likely need include:
- Cargo insurance, which covers the things you haul in your trailer. It’s not a coverage required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), but most for-hire interstate owner operators will make you purchase it. If you don’t have it, they won’t hire you.
- Bobtail, which covers you If you’re leased on to a motor carrier and are running under their authority. You can find out whether you need this — or other — coverages on your lease agreement.
- Physical damage, which protects a tractor or trailer if it’s damaged in an accident. This coverage is required if you finance a truck. Even if you don’t, it’s a good idea to purchase it. Your truck — or trucks — are your livelihood. If a vehicle is seriously damaged in an accident, you could be forced to pay for repairs out of pocket. Repairing trucks is expensive and the cost of an accident could jeopardize the future of your trucking business.
Some other insurance truckers often get include non-trucking liability, uninsured motorist coverage, and rental reimbursement. Your insurance agent or rep at your insurance provider can advise you on the coverages and levels you need.
What types of trucks are covered by commercial truck insurance in Texas?
It’s possible to insure any type of truck. Different insurers offer coverage for different types of vehicles, so you may need to shop around to find insurance for yours.
Some common types of trucks covered by most insurers include:
- Cement mixers
- Tow trucks – Learn more at tow truck insurance cost and the best tow truck insurance companies in Texas
- Box trucks – Learn more at box truck insurance cost and the best box truck insurance companies
- Dump trucks – Learn more at the dump truck insurance cost and the best dump truck insurance companies in Texas
- Tractor trailers – Learn more at the best tractor trailer insurance companies
- Semis – Learn more at the semi truck insurance cost and the best semi truck insurance companies
What kind of coverage is needed for a pickup truck in Texas?
Pickup trucks are unique in that they could be covered by three types of insurance:
- Personal auto: If you drive a pickup because you prefer them and use them for things like hauling garden supplies from a nursery to your home, personal auto coverage should be adequate.
- Commercial auto: If you’re a contractor or landscaper and use your truck for every day business purposes, you should be able to cover your pickup with a commercial auto policy.
- Commercial truck: If the pickup is part of a larger trucking fleet, it could be covered by a commercial truck policy.
An insurance agent or company representative can advise you on the best coverage for your pickup truck.
What doesn’t commercial trucking insurance cover?
Commercial trucking insurance doesn’t cover intentional damage to your vehicle. For example, if you purposely damage a part of your truck to get it replaced with a newer or better one, your insurance company won’t cover it.
Truck insurance usually won’t cover personal losses or theft of personal items like cash, jewelry, or clothes. Contraband and explosives aren’t covered either. And if you haul live animals, they won’t be protected unless you get special insurance for them. If you’re not sure about what’s covered by a commercial truck policy, connect with your insurance agent or insurance company representative.
>>MORE: Best Workers Comp Insurance for Truckers
>>MORE: Trucking General Liability Insurance: Cost & Best Providers
How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Texas?
Based on our research, the average cost for commercial truck insurance in Texas is just over $13,500 per year. That’s for liability, non-trucking liability, physical damage, and occupational accident coverage for a single truck. Coverage can range from under $11,500 to more than $15,500. Below are the average costs for the coverages:
|Commercial truck insurance coverage||Average costs in Texas|
|Trucking primary liability coverage||$820 per month|
|Non-trucking liability coverage||$37 per month|
|Trucking physical damage coverage||$218 per month|
|Occupational accident coverage||$45 per month|
- Trucking primary liability coverage: This is required for all trucking businesses and truck owner-operators in Texas. Learn more at trucking primary liability coverage: what you need to know
- Non-trucking liability coverage: This covers you and your truck when you are not driving your truck for business purposes. For example, when you drive your truck to the garage after dropping off your cargo at the destination place. Learn more at the best non-trucking liability insurance companies
- Trucking physical damage: This covers your truck when it gets damaged
- Occupational accident coverage: This is similar to workers comp insurance for truckers, but with limited coverage and lower costs. Learn more at the best occupational accident insurance companies for truckers.
It’s a good idea to get several commercial truck insurance quotes and compare them to get the coverage you need at the best possible price.
Factors that affect the commercial truck insurance costs in Texas
Use these costs as benchmarks. There are many factors that impact the cost of coverage including:
- Vehicle value
- Number of trucks
- What you haul
- Number of drivers
- Driving history
- Years in business
- Where you drive in Texas and beyond
- And more.
How do I find cheap commercial truck insurance coverage in Texas?
Trucking is your livelihood, so you don’t want to skimp on your coverage. However, there are some things you can do to find the insurance you need at a fair price:
- Shop around for the best value. Get quotes from several companies or an online insurance marketplace that represents multiple carriers so you can compare coverage and premium prices.
- Don’t stop shopping around. Make sure you get new quotes before you renew your policy every year.
- Take advantage of discounts. If they’re not offered to you when getting a quote, ask about them, whether you’re buying online or through an agent.
Taking these steps will help ensure you’re not paying too much for your Texas commercial truck coverage.
Learn more at the cheapest truck insurance companies.
Commercial truck insurance in Dallas, Texas
Dallas is the biggest economy in the state of Texas. As a commerce center of Texas and the 10th biggest economy in the world, Dallas offers a lot of economic opportunities. Trucking is an essential industry in Dallas. Similar to the situation in other parts of the country, there has been a significant trucker shortage in Dallas. As a result, many trucking companies have increased salaries and bonuses to attract new drivers. Individual entrepreneurs also see the opportunity to invest and become a truck owner-operator. These new truck drivers and new truck owner-operators will need proper truck insurance to start their jobs and their businesses in the trucking industry. Learn more at the best commercial truck insurance in Dallas, Texas.
Trucking insurance for new drivers and new owner operators is very expensive. Be sure to consider the top providers we recommend above.
Learn more at the best truck insurance companies for new drivers and the best truck insurance companies for owner operators
Commercial truck insurance in Houston, Texas
Houston is the second biggest economy in Texas. It used to be the biggest one until Dallas overtook the position in 2017. It remains to be the biggest oil center in the US. Similar to Dallas, Houston has experienced trucker shortage and has been attracting new truck drivers as well as new owner operators who have joined in the industry in the past 2-3 years.
These new drivers and new owner operators need proper trucking insurance, which is very expensive. Be sure to consider the best insurance companies we recommend above for trucking businesses and individuals in Texas. Learn more at the best commercial truck insurance companies in Houston, Texas.
Commercial truck insurance in Austin, Texas
Austin is one of the fastest-growing cities in Texas with a young and dynamic workforce and a growing technology industry. As the population increases in Austin, which also demands the growth of other industries, trucking is one of those. Truckers and trucking businesses are in high demand in Austin. Commercial truck insurance is mandatory in Austin.
Learn more at the best commercial truck insurance companies in Austin, Texas.
In addition to Dallas, Houston, and Austin, truckers and trucking businesses in other big cities in Texas such as Irving, Arlington, Lubbock, and Plano also need to obtain commercial truck insurance to comply with state and federal requirements before operating their trucks.
Learn more at the best commercial truck insurance companies in Irving; Arlington; Lubbock; El Paso; and Plano
The top causes of truck crashes and accidents in Texas
According to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, the top causes of truck crashes in Texas are:
- Faulty evasive action. This happens when truckers make bad choices when trying to avoid accidents or when they are distracted and respond to traffic risks too late.
- Driver inattention. One of the most common causes of truck — and all types of vehicle — accidents is distracted driving. The distraction can be cell phone use, eating food, drinking coffee, changing radio stations, or anything that makes a driver take his or her eyes off the road.
- Safety rule violations. This includes things like driving more than the number of hours allowed and failing to get a rig inspected for safety issues. Safety problems often result in the most serious accidents on the road.
- Improper lane changes. The blind spots on tractor trailers lead to many collisions.
- Failing to yield the right of way. When large trucks don’t yield to other drivers in smaller vehicles, the results are often fatal.
No comment yet, add your voice below!