Commercial truck insurance is a must-have whether you are an owner-operator or part of a fleet in Indiana. Most states require you to carry specific liability limits while operating your truck. If you travel across state lines, there are also federal interstate guidelines. Commercial truck insurance protects both you and other people on the road.
If you are looking for commercial truck insurance in Indiana, you have come to the right place. We discuss the best commercial truck insurance companies and everything you need to know to buy commercial truck insurance in Indiana.
- 6 best commercial truck insurance companies in Indiana
- Who needs commercial truck insurance in Indiana?
- Commercial truck insurance requirements in Indiana
- How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Indiana?
- What factors impact commercial truck insurance costs in Indiana?
- How to get cheap commercial truck insurance in Indiana
- Get commercial truck insurance quotes online in Indiana
- Commercial truck insurance for different types of owner operators in Indiana
- What does commercial truck insurance cover?
6 best commercial truck insurance companies in Indiana
Hundreds of insurance companies offer commercial truck insurance in Indiana. That can make it a bit confusing when you are trying to find the best commercial truck insurance company for you. We have researched more than 30 companies and here are our recommendations of the top 5 providers for your consideration.
|Progressive: Best Overall||-Biggest commercial auto insurance companies with significant market share and experience|
-Easy to get a quote online, buy and manage the policy completely online
-Many discounts available
-Available in all 50 states
|-Not all discounts are available in all states|
-Not for large fleets
|Simply Business: Best for comparing several quotes||-Compare several quotes at once|
-Agents can help find discounts
-Pay monthly or annually
|-Can’t file a claim through SimplyBusiness|
-Only pull quotes from partners
|biBERK: Best for low-cost coverage||-A part of Berkshire Hathaways family. Excellent financial strength|
-Claim to save 20% on premiums
-Can download copies of your insurance certificate online
-Easy to file claims online
|-Best for simple insurance needs|
-Not all types of insurance are available in every state
|Commercialinsurance.net: Best for working with knowledgeable agents||-Expansive agent network. Agents with significant experience in many industries|
-Easy quote process
-Good for high-risk truckers
|-No tools for managing your policies online|
-No mobile app
|The Hartford: Best for fleets||-Specialized for fleets|
-Driver safety program
-Available in all 50 states
|-No online quotes|
-Must purchase insurance through agents
-Limited information on website
|THREE: Best for simple yet comprehensive policy||-Several different types of insurance are available under one policy|
-Licensed small business advisors can help you and answer questions
|Limited online features|
Who needs commercial truck insurance in Indiana?
Anyone who drives a truck for work in Indiana, with the exception of commuting back and forth to your job. If you try to use your personal auto insurance for your commercial autos or trucks, the insurance company won’t cover it. Even for a commercial truck, like a dump truck or a tractor trailer, you need non-trucking liability coverage for those occasions when you aren’t using your truck to haul anything.
Commercial truck insurance requirements in Indiana
All vehicles in Indiana, including commercial trucks, are required to have at least 25/50/25 in insurance coverage, at the bare minimum. This means $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident and $25,000 in property damage.
Commercial trucks hauling specialized cargo need additional insurance. Below are the minimum requirements in Indiana:
|Cargo that you haul||Minimum liability coverage requirements in Indiana|
If you cross the state lines, you need to have coverage limits required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The current FMCSA minimum requirements depend on the types of cargo and the size of the truck. Below are the current minimum requirements:
- $300,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles under 10,001 pounds
- $750,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles over 10,001 pounds
- $1,000,000 for oil carried by for-hire and private carriers
- $5,000,000 for other hazardous materials
How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Indiana?
The average cost of commercial truck insurance in Indiana is $9,900 per year, or $825 per month. In most cases, truck drivers in Indiana pay premiums of between $7,380 and $15,230.
That is the cost for a 44-year-old trucker driving a semi truck and having a good driving record. The policy includes trucking primary liability, non-trucking liability, trucking physical damage, and cargo truck insurance coverage. Below are the average costs breakdown by coverage:
|Commercial truck coverages||Average costs in Indiana|
|Trucking primary liability||$436 per month|
|Trucking physical damage||$248 per month|
|Bobtail coverage||$33 per month|
|Truck cargo insurance||$108 per month|
These are just averages though: your costs may be higher or lower. Commercial truck insurance rates are highly individual. Be sure to shop around with a few companies or work with a top broker to compare several quotes to choose the best and the cheapest one for your trucking business.
What factors impact commercial truck insurance costs in Indiana?
How much you pay for commercial truck insurance in Indiana depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- Years of driving experience. Drivers with more experience (and who have good driving records) will pay less than newer drivers
- Years of experience as a trucker: Commercial truck driving is a little different than just driving a regular vehicle, so your years of experience in the trucking industry will impact how much you pay
- How far you drive: generally, if you drive more than 50 miles in a trip, or if you cross state lines, you’ll pay more for insurance.
- Claims history: if you have any claims at all, you will pay more for insurance. Even claims that weren’t your fault, the insurance company will still see you as a higher risk than someone who has never made a claim.
- Age of your truck: Newer trucks are worth more, and therefore cost more to insure
- Weight of your truck: heavier trucks also cost more to insure. The insurance company knows that heavier trucks tend to do more damage if they are involved in an accident
- Type of cargo: federal regulations dictate how much you pay if you cross state lines, but even if you don’t, some types of cargo cost more to insure.
- Location: some locations have higher crime rates, and therefore if your truck is parked there, you’ll pay more for insurance.
How to get cheap commercial truck insurance in Indiana
Commercial truck insurance in Indiana is expensive. But there are ways to save money on your truck insurance policy. Below are a few practical tips to lower your insurance costs:
The best way to save money on commercial truck insurance is to shop around
Different companies will vary by hundreds of dollars in insurance quotes. The reason for this is different insurance companies weigh different factors differently. One company may place a high emphasis on location, whereas another may weigh the age of your truck more heavily.
Maintain your vehicles
Have a regular maintenance schedule for your truck to make sure it is in good shape. Always do a pre-trip vehicle inspection, so that you’re not surprised by mechanical difficulties, or worse, an accident.
Ask about discounts
Some companies, like Progressive, will give you a discount if you enroll in their Snapshot program. This is a device that you install in your vehicle and it evaluates your driving.
Other companies offer additional discount programs that you may be qualified for. Always ask the agents or the brokers for discounts. Even if you are not eligible for the discount now, you may be in the near future.
Get commercial truck insurance quotes online in Indiana
Getting commercial truck quotes can be trickier than you would think. The only company that consistently gives an online quote without a hassle is Progressive. biBERK and THREE also provide commercial truck insurance online although they may not be available in all 50 states and they may not cover a comprehensive range of trucks. However, it is likely that their quotes are cheaper than Progressive’s since their policies are usually with the lower coverage limits. However, there are insurance brokers that can offer online quotes as well. Companies like:
- Simply Business
- Smart Financial
And possibly some regional brokers will be able to help you by presenting you with several quotes. It’s worthwhile to try at least one or two of them.
Get commercial truck insurance in all cities in Indiana
Commercial truck insurance is required in all cities in Indiana.
Commercial truck insurance for different types of owner operators in Indiana
Whether you are a new truck owner operator or an experienced trucker part of a fleet, whether you drive a 18-wheeler, a tow truck, a dump truck, or a box truck, you must have commercial truck insurance in Indiana.
Learn more about commercial truck insurance for different types of trucks and different types of truck drivers:
- The best commercial truck insurance for new drivers
- The best commercial truck insurance for new authorities
- The best commercial truck insurance for new ventures
- The best commercial truck insurance for truck fleets
- The best tow truck insurance companies
- The best semi truck insurance companies
- The best dump truck insurance companies
- The best box truck insurance companies
What does commercial truck insurance cover?
Commercial truck insurance protects truck drivers and trucking businesses from risks associated with driving their trucks and running their trucking businesses. There are several coverages included in commercial truck insurance.
As we discussed above, trucking primary liability insurance covers bodily injuries and property damages caused to the other driver and vehicle in an accident with your truck.
In addition, truckers and trucking businesses in Indiana can get other coverage to protect themselves and their businesses. These coverages are not required by laws, but highly recommended:
- Trucking physical damage coverage to protect your own truck if it gets damaged in an accident. Learn more at the best trucking physical damage insurance companies
- Bobtail insurance to cover you when you drive your drive without a trailer attached to it. Learn more at bobtail insurance cost and the best bobtail insurance companies.
- Non-trucking liability insurance covers you when you drive your truck for personal purposes. Learn more at the best non-trucking liability insurance companies
- Motor truck cargo insurance covers risks associated with the cargo that you haul. Those can be losses due to collision, theft, fire, water damage, refrigeration breakdown, or equipment failure. Learn more at the best motor truck cargo insurance companies.
- Trucking general liability insurance covers third party’s bodily injuries and property damages caused by the operations of the trucking business but not associated with an accident. Learn more at the best trucking general liability insurance companies.
Workers comp insurance for truckers covers truck drivers if they are injured or getting sick while they are at work. It pays for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other related costs. Learn more at the best workers comp insurance for truckers.
No comment yet, add your voice below!