When looking for commercial auto insurance, you want to choose the best company with the most coverage for the best rates. There is a multitude of companies that provide commercial auto insurance, but none are quite as recognizable as Progressive. Progressive is considered the number one insurer of commercial automobiles in the US. That statistic alone makes them worthy of consideration.
About the company
Progressive is based in Mayfield, Ohio. The company can trace its roots to 1937, when two men attempted to help the underserved Cleveland market. The goal was to create insurance that everyone could afford to purchase. With more than 45 years of experience in the commercial insurance industry, Progressive prides itself on assisting business owners with getting the right coverage at the best prices.
Progressive offers more than just auto coverage to its business customers, but commercial auto insurance is the only coverage the company handles in-house. All other coverages are underwritten through third-party insurers. Coverages are offered in all 50 states, but currently, no coverage is provided in Washington, DC.
What does Progressive commercial auto insurance cover?
Progressive offers customizable business auto coverages to give you more flexibility in choosing the coverage you need. The standard commercial auto coverages offered by Progressive include
- Liability—takes care of the damages or injuries caused to other people and their property when you or an employee has an at-fault accident.
- Collision—Collision coverage is what you need to get your own vehicle repaired in the event of an accident, whether it’s your fault or someone else’s.
- Comprehensive—for those things that cause damage to your vehicle but that aren’t caused by an accident. These include vandalism, natural disasters, fire, and theft.
- Uninsured Motorist—protection for you in the event of an accident with someone who either doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance.
- Fire and theft—Fire and theft is a limited coverage package that handles specific emergencies. This coverage is for those who don’t want a fully comprehensive package but still want to be covered against theft and fire.
- Medical expenses—Medical expenses pick up where traditional health insurance leaves off after an accident. It covers those costs specifically related to treating injuries caused by the accident.
Progressive offers some specialty coverage options in addition to these standard coverages. For example, the company offers trailer interchange insurance and earned freight coverage. They also offer hired auto and non-owned auto coverage. You can customize your policy to get the exact coverage you need.
Commercial vehicles Progressive insures
While Progressive offers coverage for various vehicle types, there are some types they don’t cover. Progressive doesn’t offer coverage for emergency vehicles, race cars, wheelchair buses, or some other specialty automobiles. However, the company does offer coverage for:
- Tractor-trailers – Learn more at the best tractor-trailer insurance companies
- Dump trucks – Learn more at dump truck insurance cost and the best dump truck insurance companies
- Cement mixers
- Box trucks – Learn more at box truck insurance cost and the best box truck insurance companies
- Tow trucks – Learn more at tow truck insurance cost and the best tow truck insurance companies
- Semis – Learn more at semi truck insurance cost and the best semi truck insurance companies
- Pickup trucks – Learn more at pickup truck insurance cost
- Log truck – Learn more at the best log truck insurance companies
- Motorhomes and RVs
- Cars and SUVs
Progressive even covers those cars, SUVs, and pickups with dual use as personal and business vehicles.
Progressive commercial auto insurance features
Progressive offers a few features to benefit business owners with their commercial auto policy. Some of their offered features include:
- Personalized coverage. You can choose the options for coverage that work best for you and create a customized policy.
- Industry-specific coverages. Some industries they offer specialized coverages for include towing, large commercial trucks, and trailers.
- 24/7 claims service. You can go online or use the mobile app to submit a claim at any time from anywhere.
- Single deductible endorsements. Usually, you are responsible for any deductibles associated with your policies when you have an accident. Progressive allows you to only pay your highest deductible instead of all of them, so you could possibly save money when filing a claim.
- Seasonal policies. Do you have a “season” where you have more business? If so, this flexible policy allows you to adjust coverages for your on and off-seasons. This flexibility helps you to save money on your insurance coverage.
Progressive commercial auto insurance cost
The typical commercial auto policy through Progressive will cost approximately $187 per month. Of course, that is just an estimate. Your cost could depend more or less on the coverages you choose and specific factors related to your business.
Any insurance provider will assess specific risk factors when creating a quote for your commercial auto insurance policy. Those factors include the location of your home base, how far you travel, and the kind of business you have.
Learn more how much commercial auto insurance costs
Progressive commercial auto insurance quotes
Progressive is one of a few companies offering commercial auto insurance quotes online. It is easy and fast to get quotes on their website. In fact, it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to get a commercial auto insurance quote. Even if you are not sure if you will go with Progressive for your commercial auto insurance policy, it is worth trying to get a quote from them to understand the cost ballpark of a commercial auto policy for you.
If you are happy with the quote, you can proceed buying a policy within minutes. After buying the policy, you can manage the policy entirely online.
Learn more at the 4 best commercial auto insurance quotes online
Progressive commercial auto insurance discounts
Progressive is known for giving discounts on its coverage. They advertise their Safe Driver and bundle discounts for personal auto policies. The company also offers discounts to its business auto customers.
- Business experience—if you’ve been in business for at least three years, you qualify for this discount.
- Continuous coverage—if you maintain your policy for more than a year, you will receive this discount.
- Bundled policies—you can bundle all the insurance coverages you have with Progressive to save yourself some money on coverage.
- Paperless—if you hate mounds of bills in your mailbox, take one off your list and go paperless with a digital statement and automatic payments. Going paperless provides you with a discount too.
- Pay in full—Monthly or quarterly payments may seem like the best option, but if you can pay your entire premium at once, you can save up to 15% on your coverage premiums.
- CDL discounts—if the drivers in your company have had a commercial driver’s license for at least two years, you could benefit from a discount.
- Smart Haul—Similar to the Snap Shot for personal auto policies, drivers who use Smart Haul to track driving data can save you up to 3%.
Ratings, reviews, and complaints
2019 SNL Financial data shows Progressive is the number one commercial car insurance choice. The company maintains an A+ (superior) rating on AM Best, which means it is financially able to handle the payment of claims. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) also gives the company an A+ rating.
The complaints that dropped the rating surround dealing with the company’s customer service division. The main complaints were difficulty getting responses over the phone or via email and slow claims and payout services.
Learn more at the best commercial auto insurance companies
Progressive has been in the commercial insurance business for more than 45 years. The company has ranked number one in the commercial auto insurance business by providing discounts, reasonable rates, and exceptional insurance coverage. If you’d like a quote from Progressive, visit their website and submit your information.