AIG is another big name in the insurance world. But are the company’s life insurance products right for you? Below in our AIG life insurance review, we’ll look at the products AIG offers, the company’s reputation and how the digital experience compares.
- Pros and Cons
- Life Insurance Products Offered by AIG: 95/100
- Financial Strength Rating of AIG Life Insurance: 90/100
- Customer Satisfaction Rating Rating of AIG Life Insurance: 20/100
- Consumer Complaints Rating of AIG Life Insurance: 90/100
- Digital Experience Rating of AIG Life Insurance: 50/100
- Offers a wide range of products that are in line with the major life insurance types.
- Also has products that can be hard to find with some other insurers, like guaranteed issue whole life insurance and a quality of life insurance product that allows you to access flexible living benefits.
- Has a good financial strength rating through AM Best.
- Performed the worst on the J.D. Power 2019 Life Insurance Study.
- The digital “quote” experience is a flimsy excuse for the company to call you directly.
Life Insurance Products Offered by AIG Life Insurance
To start off our AIG life insurance review, we looked at the products offered. AIG offers a variety of individual life insurance products that are in line with the major industry types, with some policy types that go above and beyond. The life insurance products AIG lists are:
- Term Life Insurance: This is a common product that offers life insurance for a set period of time. AIG’s term life product is interesting in that it can cover you for up to 35 years, which is a bit longer than most products at 30 years.
- Guaranteed Issue Whole Life Insurance: Guaranteed issue life insurance can be hard to find with some companies, so it’s nice that AIG offers it. This type of insurance covers you without a medical exam or questions, as long as you are between the ages of 50 to 85. Because of the inherent risk, coverage is a bit low, at $5,000 to $25,000. Learn more about life insurance for seniors over 70 or 80 years old
- Quality of Life Insurance: This product offers the usual death benefit coverage, but also is geared for a host of living benefits that pay out in certain situations. This is a strong option if you like the idea of using life insurance funds in case of an emergency or other life events. Some of the plans even let you borrow from the account to supplement retirement income, pay for college or start a business. This product is also designed to provide financial support if you are terminally, critically, or chronically ill. This benefit is not unique. However, unlike other life insurance policies from other insurance companies where you have to pay extra to have these benefits as riders, AIG’s Quality of Life product includes these benefits without additional charge.
- Universal Life: This permanent coverage type is offered in guaranteed universal, index universal or variable universal.
Financial Strength Rating of AIG Life Insurance
AIG Assurance Company has an A (Excellent) rating through AM Best. The company outlook is listed as stable.
The long-term issuer credit rating is listed as “a” and the outlook is listed as stable, as well.
Customer Satisfaction Rating Rating of AIG Life Insurance
AIG came in last in the J.D. Power 2019 Life Insurance Study. It got a 722 out of a possible 1,000 points, with an average median of 761. It ranks at the very bottom of the 25 insurance companies included in this reputable study.
It overall satisfaction has two circles out of a possible five. The two-circle rating is the lowest available and is simply labeled as “the rest.”
Life insurance companies are also rated on the 6 criteria of customer satisfaction in this study. Here are how AIG life insurance is rated:
- Product offerings: 2/5
- Price: 2/5
- Statements: 2/5
- Interaction: 3/5
- Communication: 2/5
- Application and Orientation: 2/5
Consumer Complaints Rating of AIG Life Insurance
As part of our AIG life insurance review, when we looked at the complaint index through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, for some reason, there isn’t a complaint index of AIG Life Insurance company. The company had no complaints about individual life insurance in both 2019 and 2017. It only had one complaint in 2018 for individual life.
Digital Experience Rating of AIG Life Insurance
AIG’s webpage advertises that you can get a free life insurance quote. It even states that you can get $250,000 of term life insurance for as low as $14 per month.
We selected the button to get a free quote for a term life plan. We then selected $250,000 in coverage for a 45-year-old male in Wisconsin. We put in that he is 5’10’’ and weighs 180 pounds. You do have to enter a phone number and email address.
However, once you enter all the information, you simply get a screen telling you that they’ll shortly call the number you listed. You can also call an 800 hotline. That seems like nothing more than a shady way to get you to enter your phone number into their system. Especially considering there was nothing readily visible on the form telling you to give them permission to call you directly.
It is a bit disappointing to see this shady practice by a reputable company. On the other hand, the website is relatively well-designed and the information on the website is very comprehensive.
Final Thoughts in our AIG Life Insurance Review
If you’re looking for a company with a solid financial strength rating that offers a wide variety of customized life insurance products, AIG is a good place to look into. It’s especially a good choice if you need guaranteed life insurance or options that allow you to use living benefits. Just don’t expect much from the online quote process.