Most employers in Utah are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. It provides benefits to employees if they are injured or become ill for job-related reasons. It helps pay for medical treatment, covers partial lost wages, and much more.
This article reveals the top 6 workers’ comp insurance companies in Utah and explains everything you need to know to secure legally required coverage.
- The 6 best workers comp insurance companies in Utah
- Utah workers compensation insurance laws
- Who is exempt from having workers’ comp insurance in Utah?
- What benefits does workers’ compensation insurance provide to Utah workers?
- What are the consequences of not having required workers’ compensation coverage in Utah?
- How much does workers’ compensation insurance cost in Utah?
- How to find cheap workers’ comp insurance coverage in Utah?
The 6 best workers comp insurance companies in Utah
- biBerk: Best for affordable workers’ comp coverage
- CoverWallet: Best for Utah businesses that want to compare workers’ comp premiums easily
- Simply Business: Best for finding the cheapest workers comp coverage in Utah
- THREE: Best for reasonably priced comprehensive coverage
- The Hartford: Best for buying workers’ compensation coverage through an agent
- InsurePro: Best for on-demand workers’ comp insurance coverage
biBerk: Best for affordable workers’ comp coverage
biBerk is a low-cost business insurance provider. Even though you’re saving money on your workers’ compensation insurance, you can rest assured knowing you’ll still receive top-notch service.
- biBERK can reduce insurance prices by almost 20 percent because it insures small businesses directly, with no middleman or broker.
- biBerk is part of Berkshire Hathaway, a company headed by well-known investor Warren Buffett.
- Berkshire Hathaway has been insuring people and businesses for more than 75 years.
- Despite biBerk’s reputation for being a low-cost insurer, it’s essential to get quotes from other companies to ensure you’re getting coverage at a fair price.
- Not the best insurer for complex coverage needs.
Here is a sample workers’ comp quote from InsurePro for a small accounting firm in Salt Lake City.
CoverWallet: Best for Utah businesses that want to compare workers’ comp premiums easily
CoverWallet is an online insurance broker. It makes it easy for Utah business owners to get insurance quotes from several different companies at once.
- If you want affordable insurance coverage, CoverWallet can save you the time of contacting multiple insurers to compare costs.
- If you buy your workers’ comp insurance through CoverWallet, you can use its online tools to pay your premiums, file claims, and download your proof of insurance.
- Coverage through CoverWallet comes from top-tier insurers.
- CoverWallet doesn’t always provide you with a quote online, especially if your business is a complex one. In some cases, you may have to call a representative to get your quote.
- You may pay more for your insurance than purchasing directly from an insurance company.
Simply Business: Best for finding the cheapest workers comp insurance coverage in Utah
Much like CoverWallet, Simply Business isn’t an insurance provider. Instead, it’s a broker that connects small business owners in Utah with workers’ comp insurance through partner companies. Simply Business is focused on partnering with insurance companies that tend to offer low-cost workers comp coverage, even some of them may not be as well-known. If your main goal is to find the cheapest coverage in Utah, you should definitely work with Simply Business.
- It’s easy to get several quotes from different insurers through Simply Business, especially from those that offer competitive rates
- Simply Business has a complete online library to help you learn about workers’ comp and other types of business insurance coverage.
- Simply Business vets the insurers on its platform regularly to ensure they’re stable and provide exemplary client service.
- Policy underwriting, claims, and customer service is handled by third-party insurers, not Simply Business.
- Simply Business is owned by Travelers, a major insurer based in the United States. However, it’s headquartered in the United Kingdom.
THREE: Best for reasonably priced comprehensive coverage
THREE can be your one-stop shop for small business protection, including workers’ comp insurance. THREE specializes in providing one comprehensive insurance policy that completely protects small businesses. Their policy is only 3-page long, written in plain and normal English with no-insurance jargons, and includes all coverages that small business may need. The comprehensive policy is also competitively priced compared to similar alternatives.
THREE’s workers comp insurance is also developed based on the same principle. Simple, straightforward, no fine-prints, comprehensive, and reasonably priced.
- With THREE you get all your business insurance from one source.
- THREE is part of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies.
- The company provides a good online insurance buying experience.
- You cannot get stand-alone workers’ compensation insurance from biBerk.
- It can be challenging to get personalized help and support during the buying process.
The Hartford: Best for buying workers’ compensation coverage through an agent
The Hartford is one of the oldest insurance companies and well-known for its high ethical standards. They have been insuring more than 1 million small businesses for 200+ years. However, their operations are still based on the agents and brokers.
- You are able to purchase customized coverage from an agent affiliated with The Hartford.
- You can get advice and support during the buying process and beyond from your agent.
- The Hartford is a reliable and stable company that’s been in business for more than 200 years.
- The Hartford offers limited online insurance buying and servicing capabilities.
- The firm tends to be more expensive than many other insurers, especially online ones.
InsurePro: Best for on-demand workers’ comp insurance coverage
Need workers’ compensation coverage fast? InsurePro could be the ideal provider for you. Its mission is to provide business owners with coverage quickly so they can comply with Utah regulations.
- Fill out an online form, and InsurePro will get quotes from three reputable insurers from the 20 represented on its platform.
- The entire insurance application and buying process usually takes less than 15 minutes.
- InsurePro is a highly-rated insurance provider.
- InsurePro is a relatively new insurance company.
- It may not be able to cover all Utah businesses.
Utah workers’ compensation insurance laws
Utah is one of the strictest states when it comes to workers comp insurance requirements. The Utah law mandates almost all businesses operating in Utah and with employees, even just 1, to provide workers comp insurance for their employees.
Who is exempt from having workers’ comp insurance in Utah?
The few exemptions of workers comp insurance in Utah are:
- Some agricultural employees
- Casual or domestic workers
- Certain real estate and insurance agents.
Utah businesses can exclude some or all corporate officers and directors from workers’ comp coverage. However, they must first file a notice with their workers’ compensation insurer and file for an exemption with the Utah Labor Commission.
Business owners without employees, including sole proprietors and independent contractors, don’t have to purchase this insurance. Businesses structured as partnerships and limited liability companies (LLCs) may also be exempted.
Even when it’s not required by Utah law, getting workers’ compensation is a sensible thing to do. Your health insurance company might deny a claim for an injury or illness related to your work, and you could be forced to pay costly medical bills.
What benefits does workers’ compensation insurance provide to Utah workers?
Workers comp provides the following benefits to Utah workers who become injured or ill for job-related reasons:
- Medical expenses for reasonable and necessary medical care related to the injury or illness
- Temporary partial disability benefits
- Temporary total disability benefits
- Permanent partial disability benefits
- Permanent total disability benefits
- Job retraining, if needed
- Death benefits for a surviving spouse or dependents
- Funeral expenses up to a limit.
The significant benefit to employers with workers’ comp coverage is that it is almost impossible to sue over a workplace injury or illness, even if it results from employer negligence.
What are the consequences of not having required workers’ compensation coverage in Utah?
The penalties for violating Utah’s workers’ compensation laws are significant:
- A penalty of at least $1,000
- A legal injunction against doing business in Utah
- The possibility of being sued by employees who are injured or become ill for job reasons or the relatives of those who die on the job.
Utah means business when it comes to workers’ compensation protection.
How much does workers’ compensation insurance cost in Utah?
The average cost of workers comp insurance in Utah is $0.73 per $100 payroll, one of the lowest rates in the country.
Your workers’ comp premiums in Utah are based on many factors, including:
- Number of employees and what they do
- Industry and risk factors
- Coverage limits
- Claims history
What’s important is that you get several quotes from different providers to ensure you get your workers’ compensation coverage at a fair cost.
Learn more at how much does workers comp insurance cost
How to find cheap workers’ comp insurance coverage in Utah
Get several quotes from the different providers on our list. Compare them to ensure you get your required workers’ comp insurance protection at the best possible price.
If you cannot purchase workers’ comp insurance through traditional insurance providers because of your operation’s high-risk status, you can buy from the Workers’ Compensation Fund of Utah. This is the state’s workers’ comp provider of last resort.
Utah employers who qualify can self-insure their workers’ comp needs. If they do, they must pay their workers’ compensation benefits instead of submitting them to an insurance company. You must apply to the Utah Labor Commission to get approved for self-insurance.
Learn more at the cheapest workers comp insurance companies