There are approximately 154,000 small businesses in New Mexico. These businesses contribute significantly to the state economy, accounting for $11.5 billion in annual sales and employing more than 344,000 people. Despite their importance, however, small businesses are at a higher risk of liability claims than larger businesses. This is because they typically have fewer resources to defend a lawsuit and are less likely to have insurance that covers them for liability claims.
This is why it is important for small businesses in New Mexico to have general liability insurance. This type of insurance provides protection against a wide range of potential liabilities, including bodily injury, property damage, and legal costs. By having general liability insurance, small businesses can rest assured knowing that they are covered in the event of an accident or lawsuit.
This article recommends the 6 best general liability insurance providers in New Mexico for your consideration and discusses what you need to know to get the right general liability coverage in New Mexico.
- 5 best general liability insurance companies in New Mexico
- General liability insurance quotes online for Mexico small businesses
- General liability insurance requirements in New Mexico
- Why should Mexico small businesses have general liability insurance?
- What does general liability insurance cover in New Mexico?
- How much does general liability insurance cost in New Mexico?
- How to find cheap general liability insurance in New Mexico
5 best general liability insurance companies in New Mexico
Many companies offer general liability insurance for small businesses in New Mexico. After intensive research, we recommend the following 5 best providers:
- Simply Business: Best broker to work with to find low-cost coverage
- NEXT: Best for contractors and general contracting businesses
- CoverWallet: Best for comparing several quotes from top-rated carriers online
- Tivly: Best broker if you prefer working with knowledgeable agents
- InsurePro: Best for cheap short-term pay-per-day coverage
Simply Business: Best for finding cheap coverage by comparing several quotes
Simply Business is a small business insurance brokerage. They work with many carriers with a focus on helping you find low-cost coverage that your business may need, including general liability insurance. They specialize in finding good low-cost carriers to partner with. They vet the carriers that they work with to ensure that all of them have excellent financial ratings.
- Easy to get and compare several quotes online
- Able to get quotes from A-rated carriers which you may not be aware of
- Knowledgeable agents that are available to help you along the process
- Good consumer satisfaction rating on trustpilot
- Quotes online are available for general liability and professional liability only
- Have to file a claim directly with the carriers
NEXT: Best for low-cost general liability coverage from a digital carrier
NEXT is a 100% digital carrier. They are new, founded in 2016, specializing in providing general liability insurance online for contractors and other local businesses. Working with NEXT is fast and easy. You can do everything completely online.
- Excellent digital experience from quoting, buying a policy, and managing a policy. Everything is fast and easy online
- Reasonable rates, especially for contractors
- Backed in A+ reinsurer, Munich Re
- Limited specialty insurance types
- Limited customer service support during the buying process
CoverWallet: Best for comparing several quotes online from top-rated carriers
CoverWallet is another brokerage specializing in small business insurance. They work with a lot of top-rated carriers such as Chubb, Liberty Mutual, or Hiscox. They make it super easy for small businesses to compare several quotes from these top-rated carriers online.
- Get multiple quotes by filling out one form
- Manage all your policies in one “wallet”
- Wide variety of coverage types available
- They don’t write policies: they are a broker
- Quotes are not always instant and in certain circumstances, you have to call
Tivly: Best for cheap policies with minimum coverage
Tivly is another brokerage firm focusing on helping small business find cheap policies with minimum coverage. If you only need to have the minimum coverage required by your customers, Tivly is a good option to work with to save money.
- Find cheap quotes of minimum coverage
- Serve small businesses of all industries
- Customer satisfaction ratings can be improved
- Must file claims through the insurance company (you can’t file a claim through Tivly
InsurePro: Best for cheap short-term pay-per-day coverage
InsurePro is another insurance brokerage firm. Their unique offering is short-term pay-per-day coverage, which means that you can buy general liability coverage for just a day or a few days. You can even buy coverage for a specific project. InsurePro works with more than 20 carriers to find the cheapest coverage for you.
- Unique offering of short-term general liability insurance coverage
- Excellent digital experience: getting quotes and buying a policy within just a few mins
- Coverage is backed by top-tier carriers
- No mobile app
- A relatively new firm without a long track record
General liability insurance quotes online for New Mexico small businesses
To illustrate how easy and simple getting online general liability insurance quotes for New Mexico small businesses is like, we got quotes from four companies: InsurePro, Simply Business, Thimble, and NEXT. Below are three quotes for a small IT consulting firm with 4 full-time employees, $450,000 in payroll and $1,200,000 in revenue:
InsurePro general liability insurance quotes online:
Below is the quote from InsurePro. InsurePro also has the cheapest quote for the accounting firm located in New Mexico.
Simply Business general liability insurance quotes online
Below is the quote from Simply Business. They only offer online quotes from Hiscox. However, they also offer quotes from another 3-4 companies on the phone.
Next general liability insurance quotes online
Here is the quote from NEXT insurance. This is also the second cheapest quote for an accounting firm located in Madison, New Mexico.
General liability insurance requirements in New Mexico
General liability insurance is not legally required by the state of New Mexico although the Department of Insurance in New Mexico state advises that any business that sells goods or services in the state should have general liability insurance.
Did you know that slip and fall accidents account for over a million emergency room visits every year? The chances that one of your customers will slip and hurt themselves are pretty high. Likewise, if your business visits people in their homes or on their property, you run the risk of damaging their property and having to pay out of pocket if you don’t have insurance.
If you lease or rent a space, however, your landlord may require it. The policies that New Mexico requires are commercial auto insurance (if you drive a vehicle for business purposes) and workers compensation insurance (if you have one or more employees).
Why should New Mexico small businesses have general liability insurance?
It is highly advisable that small businesses should have general liability insurance policies. This is the most popular insurance policy for small businesses. Here are the reasons why:
- Because small businesses are more vulnerable to lawsuits, general liability insurance can help protect your business from financial damages that may come as a result of a lawsuit. This may come as a surprise to you but small businesses are 3 times more likely to get a liability lawsuit than big enterprises.
- If you are sued, general liability insurance can cover the costs of legal defense fees. Whether or not, you are at fault, when you are sued, it will cost you a lot to hire an attorney, pay for court fees, and skip work to appear in court. These costs will be covered by a general liability insurance policy if you have it in place. Otherwisw, you have to pay them out of your pocket.
- If you are found liable for damages, general liability insurance can help cover the costs of compensating the victim.
- Claims can go beyond physical injuries. Liability claims don’t just involve physical injuries – they can also include libel, slander, and other types of damage done to a person’s reputation. A general liability policy can help protect you from these types of claims as well.
What does general liability insurance cover in New Mexico?
General liability insurance (GL), also known as business liability insurance, or commercial general liability (CGL), is a coverage that can protect you from a variety of claims arising from your business operations,
These claims may include the following:
General liability insurance protects against business-related incidents that cause bodily harm to a third party. For instance, if one of your employees mistakenly drops on hammer on someone’s foot, this coverage should cover any damages. This coverage, however, only does not apply to employee injuries.
General liability can also protect you from any third-party property damage caused by your business operations. For example, imagine you break a client’s window while cleaning their apartment; this policy should cover the damages.
General liability insurance protects against liability for faulty products. Products are any goods that your company manufactures, sells, or distributes. This coverage protects a business if such a product causes physical injury or illness. For instance, if your customer becomes sick after buying infected food from you.
Completed operations coverage is just like product liability. It, however, protects you against faulty services or work performed by your business. For coverage to apply, you must finish such a project.
For example, a customer hires your service clean their bathroom. However, you forget to turn off a tap in the bathroom, causing the bathroom to flood after you left. Your general liability may cover the damages caused since you already left when the issue happened.
Personal and advertising injury
Your general liability policy may also cover any written or verbal communications that cause harm to a third party. This includes, among other things, libel, slander, malicious mischief, and copyright infringement.
For example, if your local competitor accused you of spreading rumors about their poor customer service. The company can sue you for personal and advertising injury if the competitor’s reputation and profitability are harmed. In such a case, general liability will cover you.
Damages to rented property
Damage to land, buildings, or structures you rent or lease is also typically covered under general liability coverage. For coverage to apply, the insured or their business must be legally liable for the damages.
For example, a local baker may rent a property that catches fire due to a careless employee leaving the oven unattended. General liability may cover the damages because the business operations caused the fire. On the other hand, this coverage would not apply if a lightning strike started the fire.
Learn more about general liability insurance coverage
What doesn’t general liability insurance cover?
Although general liability insurance is one of the most important policies for small businesses, it doesn’t protect businesses from all risks. The policy doesn’t cover the following:
- Employees’ injuries and accidents at work. This has to be covered to workers comp insurance
- If you or your employees are involved in an accident while driving for business purposes, you’ll need commercial auto insurance to cover this.
- If your business provides services or advice and is sued by your clients because they believe you make a mistake or are negligent, you’ll need commercial auto insurance to cover that.
What happens if you don’t have general liability insurance in New Mexico?
If you don’t have general liability insurance and someone sues you because they slipped and fell while visiting your business, you will be on the hook for all their medical bills, and possibly lost wages as they recover from their injuries if they are unable to work. In case you haven’t noticed, health care costs are exorbitant in the United States, and this could easily bankrupt your small business.
How much does general liability insurance cost in New Mexico?
As you can see, general liability insurance averages about $408 a year, or $34 a month (with a down payment usually due the first month). However, costs can vary widely, you may find you pay much more or slightly less. Below is the summary of New Mexico general liability insurance cost from several companies:
|General liability insurance cost in New Mexico
|$32 per month
|$36 per month
|$26 per month
This is just the average. Your rates from these companies will be different. Be sure to shop around with a few companies or to work with a digital broker like Simply Business, CoverWallet, or InsurePro to compare several quotes to find the cheapest one for your company.
What affects general liability insurance costs in New Mexico?
There are many factors that affect how much you’ll pay for business insurance in New Mexico. They include:
- Years of experience (yours)
- Business structure (sole proprietor, LLC, partnership, corporation, etc)
- Location (even within New Mexico, some areas have higher risks than others)
- Size of the business
- Claims history
- Policy limits
The higher the risk in your industry, the more you’ll pay for insurance. Contractors usually pay much higher rates than, say, accountants.
How to find cheap general liability insurance in New Mexico
The easiest way to save money is to shop around. Get quotes from at least three different companies. If you go through an insurance broker, try a few to get multiple quotes. For the investment of just an hour or two, you could save hundreds of dollars.
Choose a higher deductible. Just be sure you have that money available somewhere in case you need it.
Make sure you run a safe business. Have a safety policy and post it where everyone can see it. Don’t encourage your workers to rush, as this often leads to mistakes and injuries. Make sure floors are swept and equipment is picked up and put away.
Insurance agents sometimes get a bad rap, but if you find a good one, they can help you save money. They’ll steer you toward the insurance policies you need and tell you which ones you don’t need. You want to work with an independent agent, not a captive agent. An independent agent works with many insurance companies and can help you find the best price. A captive agent works for only one company and will only be able to sell you policies from that company: no matter how expensive they are.
3 industries with the cheapest general liability insurance in New Mexico
The three industries with the lowest general liability costs are:
- Photo and video – Learn more at photographer insurance
- Hair salon –
- Insurance professionals – Learn more at E&O for insurance agent
General liability insurance vs. Business Owners Policy (BOP)
A business owner’s policy (BOP) is a type of insurance that combines general liability insurance with property insurance and sometimes business income interruption. This policy is designed to protect business owners from the risks associated with owning and operating a business. General liability insurance provides coverage for injuries or damages that occur as a result of your business operations. Property insurance provides coverage for damage or loss to your business property. And business income interruption insurance covers businesses from their income loss due to a covered peril.
General liability insurance vs. product liability insurance
General liability insurance is a type of insurance that provides coverage for business owners against certain types of claims, such as personal injury, property damage, and advertising injury. Product liability insurance, on the other hand, is a type of insurance that provides coverage for businesses that manufacture or sell products. Product liability insurance covers businesses in the event that a consumer sustains an injury as a result of using a product that was manufactured or sold by the business. Some of the similarities between general liability and product liability insurance include:
- Both types of insurance provide coverage for certain types of claims.
- Both types of insurance are designed to protect businesses in the event that someone suffers an injury as a result of using a product or service.
- Both types of insurance are available to businesses in the private and public sectors.
There are also some key differences between general liability and product liability insurance:
- General liability insurance covers businesses in the event that someone suffers an injury at the workplace or as a result of the business’s operations. Product liability insurance, on the other hand, covers businesses in the event that a consumer sustains an injury as a result of using a product that was manufactured or sold by the business.
- General liability insurance is more popular and widely used than general liability insurance. Most small businesses should have general liability insurance
- Product liability insurance is typically more expensive than general liability insurance.
General liability insurance vs. workers comp insurance
Both general liability and workers compensation insurance provide coverage for businesses in the incident of someone getting injured at a worksite.
The main difference between the two is that workers compensation insurance is specifically designed to protect employees who are injured or become ill as a result of their job, while general liability insurance provides businesses with coverage from claims of any third-party’s personal injury or property damage.
General liability insurance vs. professional liability insurance
General liability insurance is different from professional liability insurance because it covers a wider range of incidents. General liability insurance is designed to protect a business from any third-party claims, such as injuries or property damage that occur as a result of the business’s operations. Professional liability insurance, on the other hand, is specific to certain professions and covers claims made by clients for alleged negligence or mistake or malpractice. It is usually for professionals in business of giving advice or services to their clients such as accountants, financial advisors, doctors, nurses, or engineers.
Does general liability insurance cover data breaches and cyber-attacks?
Many people may think that since general liability insurance cover property damages of the business’s customers and any data breaches or cyber attacks will result in customers’ property damages, general liability insurance should cover it.
You will be surprised to learn that general liability insurance doesn’t actually cover data breaches and cyber attacks. Many general liability insurance policies actually highlight the exclusions of property damages resulting from data breaches and cyber attacks Cyber liability insurance is designed to protect businesses from the financial fallout of a cyber attack. It covers the costs of repairing or restoring your computer systems, as well as the costs of any legal action that may be taken against you in the wake of a cyber attack. General liability insurance, on the other hand, covers accidents and injuries that occur on your work sites or as a result of your business activities.