According to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI), there are over top 40 insurance companies that offer auto insurance to businesses in Texas. We have reviewed the top 10 companies that provide commercial truck insurance for trucking businesses.
Most of these companies on our list specialize only in commercial truck insurance, while others provide a wide range of insurance policies to businesses.
Here’s more information about what we found, along with answers to commonly asked questions about commercial truck insurance:
- Top 10 commercial truck insurance companies in El Paso, Texas
- What is commercial truck insurance?
- Who needs commercial truck coverage in El Paso, Texas?
- What does commercial truck insurance cover in El Paso, Texas?
- How much does commercial truck insurance cost in El Paso, Texas?
- What are the requirements for commercial truck insurance in El Paso, Texas?
- How can I find cheap commercial truck insurance in El Paso, Texas?
Top 10 commercial truck insurance companies in El Paso, Texas
Here’s the list of the top 10 biggest commercial truck insurance companies in El Paso, Texas, along with what makes them stand out based on our assessment:
- Progressive: Best for companies with different types of vehicles to insure
- Commercialinsurance.net: Best for a comprehensive network of agents specializing in commercial truck insurance
- Canal: Best for every trucking business size
- Great-West: Best service for trucking business in El Paso
- Hallmark: Best for oil and gas hauling businesses
- Knight Insurance Group: Best Multipurposes
- CoverWallet: Best for comparing several quotes
- National Casualty Company: Best for high-risk drivers
- Northland: Best for trucking businesses in El Paso who needs flexible payments
- Trisura Specialty Insurance Company: Best for specialized services
Progressive: Best Overall
Progressive is the top commercial vehicle insurer and offers commercial truck insurance in almost all states in the USA including El Paso, Texas. Where you are an owner-operator or owner of a trucking company and looking to acquire truck insurance, Progressive maybe your best option as it offers a wide range of auto coverages which includes liability, comprehensive and collision, roadside assistance, and uninsured/underinsured policies.
It is also a good choice if you want to have access to premium packages without breaking the bank, they are known for their juicy discounts. No matter the number of trucks your company owns, Progressive can cover them.
Commercialinsurance.net: Best for a comprehensive network of agents specializing in commercial truck insurance
Commercialinsurance.net is a national agents specializing in small businesses. Trucking business is one of their main specialization areas. They work with a comprehensive network of agents specializing in commercial trucking businesses.
Regardless how unique your situation is, if you operate in trucking industry and need coverages, commercialinsurance.net will be able to connect you with an agent specializing in your niche. These agents have accumulated years of experience working with clients just like you, so they will be able to provide you with expert advice how to get the best coverages at the most affordable rate.
Canal: Best for every trucking business size
Canal has been offering insurance for over 80 years and is well known for its specialization in commercial truck insurance. They offer insurance packages that every business size in El Paso can fit into. Their packages include:
- Express: for businesses with 1-10 trucks.
- Mid-Fleet: for trucking businesses with 11-50 trucks
- Fleet: for trucking businesses with 50+ trucks
- Cargo-freight: monoline cargo coverage at competitive rates
- Physical damage: this covers broad towing coverage, auto loan lease gap coverage, and mechanical breakdown options.
All packages cover physical damage, auto liability, cargo, and pollution liability. With Canal, Truckers General Liability limits up to $1,000,000/$2,000,000 and is available for both hired and owned service vehicles. Learn more at the best trucking general liability insurance companies.
We love Canal because they have additional resources for their insureds like safety training, safety tools, and tips for drivers, fleet monitoring to identify and manage fleet issues, and driver recognition.
You cannot get a quote online with Canal, but finding an agent is very easy.
Great-West: Best service for trucking businesses in El Paso
Great-West says “Trucking is our only business”. They also specialize in commercial truck insurance and have over 60 years of experience in the industry. The company is known for its great service, good rates, and installment payment options for its commercial umbrella policy.
Their insurance policies cover auto liability, physical damage, owner-operators, workers’ compensation, umbrella, and cargo. They also offer a few optional coverages like auto cargo coverage, bulk commodity carriers, freight brokers, and infidelity/dishonesty.
You cannot generate a quote online but you can request one, by filling out a form on their website and someone from their team will contact you.
Hallmark: Best for oil and gas hauling businesses in Texas
Based in Texas, Hallmark is a specialty property and casualty insurer. Unlike others, they offer other insurance policies for businesses. Their truck insurance can cover fleets up to 500 units but is specifically made for Truck-for-hire and trucks hauling LPG, fuel oil, and gasoline.
As a trucking business owner, you may not be able to work directly with Hallmark as they offer products through multiple distribution relationships.
Their truck insurance can cover fleets up to 500 units but is specifically made for truck-for-hire and trucks hauling LPG, fuel oil, and gasoline.
Hallmark holds an “A-“ rating with A.M for financial strength.
Knight Insurance Group: Best multi-purposes
Knight Insurance group offers multiple insurances you may need for your trucking business, from physical damage to cargo and bodily injury, trucking general liability, and trucker workers comp insurance. They have 29 years of industry experience and cater to all trucking business niches.
You may not be able to get a quote online, but you can reach out to the team via their website with all your questions.
National Casualty Company: Best for high-risk drivers
National casualty company, a subsidiary of Nationwide Insurance was established in 2004. They provide insurance coverages for trucking businesses with high-risk drivers in locations across the U.S including El Paso, Texas. They are committed to providing quality coverage of all types and providing clients with top-tier client service.
We could not find their website online but they have strong brokers and agent networks who market their insurance policies to customers.
They received superior and excellent ratings from AM Best.
CoverWallet: Best for comparing several quotes
CoverWallet is a digital broker specializing in small businesses. They work with several leading insurance companies and provide a wide range of coverages, including commercial truck insurance.
An advantage of working with CoverWallet is that after filling their quote form, they are able to pull quotes from several companies for you to compare and select the best one for you. Trucking business can be complicated with different nuances. In some cases, they may not be able to provide you with quotes online, but they will be able to provide quotes on the phone for you to compare and select the cheapest one for you.
After buying commercial truck insurance policies from CoverWallet, you will be able to manage the policy completely digitally. CoverWallet also has great customer satisfaction, earning A rating on BBB.
Northland: Best for trucking businesses in El Paso who needs flexible payments
Northland also specializes in commercial truck insurance and is known for its flexible payment systems. With operations since 1948, they serve two primary markets which include fleets and owners/operators.
- They provide coverage for the following:
- Owner/operator liability
- Physical damage
- General liability
- Tool and equipment floater
- Motor truck cargo coverage
Finding an agent on Northland may be easy as you can do it directly from their website. There are over 20 agents in Texas with their full details for easy contact. You can’t generate a quote online.
Trisura Specialty Insurance Company: Best for specialized services
As the name implies, Trisura specialty insurance provides coverage for trucking businesses with special or unique features. They cover items that are not typically covered under regular commercial truck insurance.
Some of the special coverages may include:
- Cyber Liability
- Directors’ and Officers’ or D&O
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance
- Extortion, Kidnap, and Ransom
- Fiduciary Liability
- Professional Liability
So if your trucking business needs any of these coverages, you may want to consider Trisura. They work with brokers and agents and you may not be able to get quotes online.
Learn more at the best commercial truck insurance companies
What is commercial truck insurance?
Commercial truck insurance is a type of insurance policy made for trucking businesses. It provides coverage for the use of heavy vehicles such as trucks and construction equipment for work or for hauling freight.
Commercial truck insurance is typically purchased by truck owners but it still provides coverage for the drivers and cargo being transported.
Who needs commercial truck coverage in El Paso, Texas?
From our findings, anyone who operates or owns a trucking business needs commercial truck coverage.
- Companies that own or leases trucks
- Independent truck owners
- Commercial trucking transportation businesses
- Any business that uses trucks for operations and transportation-related activity
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), all businesses that operate a truck must have commercial truck insurance. This is required even if the operation is limited to one vehicle. Not having commercial truck insurance can cause you to get out of business. Being able to get one can help avoid experiencing or fix the damages that can happen if something goes wrong.
What does commercial truck insurance cover in El Paso, Texas?
Commercial truck insurance has several coverages you will need for your trucking business but here are the most common in El Paso:
- Truckers general liability coverage: covers the operations and damages of a driver in someone else’s premises when not actively driving the truck.
- Physical damage coverage: Covers the cost to replace or repair damage to your equipment when an accident or theft happens.
- Primary liability coverage: covers all damages you may cause to others while operating your truck.
- Motor truck cargo coverage: covers physical damages to any cargo your truck hauls only when the carrier is still in possession.
- Non-trucking liability coverage: covers damages to the truck driver when they are driving outside work purposes, like using it on your farm and other personal purposes.
- Bobtail: Covers damages that happen when you are not hauling anything. For example, driving to a safe place after a pick-up or drop-off, or the travel between a driver’s home and their terminal.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists: covers damages done when someone hits you and does not have an insurance policy to pay for damages.
- Workers comp insurance: covers the medical costs, lost wages, and other related costs when a trucker is injured or becomes ill at work.
How much does commercial truck insurance cost in El Paso, Texas?
The average cost for commercial truck insurance in El Paso, Texas is $13,000-$30,000
It is a wide range because commercial truck insurance costs vary and depends on several factors:
- USDOT authority
- Driver’s experience on the road and their safety track record
- The type and size of trucks
- The distance trucks travel, and whether they travel out of state
- In-state or interstate trucking
- The type of cargo you’re hauling
- Contractual requirements
The cost will also vary depending on the insurance company you are working with. Different companies offer different quotes, so do well to shop around and compare prices.
Learn more at how much commercial truck insurance costs
What are the requirements for commercial truck insurance in El Paso, Texas?
Texas state law asks truckers, trucking businesses, and new ventures to have a certain amount of liability insurance which is determined by what freight you pull and where you pull it and you must get a TXDMV Number
Physical damage coverage and Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists must be provided according to the Texas Department of insurance.
The minimum liability coverage for your trucking business depends on what you’re hauling, the weight of your truck, and whether you’re traveling within or beyond Texas.
See the table below for more information:
|Type of freight||Minimum liability coverage|
|Non-hazardous, under 10,001lbs||$300,000|
|Property (Non-Hazardous), over 10,001lbs, interstate or foreign||$750,000|
|Hazardous substance, over 10,001lbs, interstate or foreign||$5,000,000|
|Oil, hazardous waste, over 10,001lbs, interstate or foreign||$1,000,000|
Tip: The proof of the financial responsibility you own which includes endorsements for insurance policies, motor carrier surety bond for public liability, and authorization from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) are all required to be kept at your principal place of business.
Both the FMCSA and the Texas Department of Transportation require that commercial truck insurance forms be submitted by the insurance agent of your company. These documents show that all of the requirements have been met.
Some of them include:
- Form H
- The BMC-99
- Form MCS-98
- Form E
Here are the complete requirement guidelines for your reference.
You also need to comply with all the DOT truck insurance requirements recommended by the FMCSA.
How can I find cheap commercial truck insurance in El Paso, Texas?
Because trucks are very heavy vehicles and at high risks of damages, both to people and the cargo, commercial truck insurance can be very expensive. But don’t worry, you can find cheap commercial truck insurance in El Paso by doing these:
- Compare different insurers: You can get quotes online. With this, you can compare and choose the best that works for you.
- Be consistent in maintaining commercial truck insurance coverage. If you have gaps in your commercial truck insurance coverage, your premiums might increase as a result
- Take advantage of discounts: If you also need other business insurance policies, you can have access to discounts. Most insurance companies offer bundles with at least a 4% discount.
Learn more at the cheapest commercial truck insurance companies
No comment yet, add your voice below!