The Travelers is the one under the big red umbrella. The carrier began in 1864 as the St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Company. They are one of the largest insurance companies in the world, and the only property casualty company on the Dow Jones Industrial Average. They were purchased by MetLife in 2006, but they retained the name Travelers. They insure industries from health care to manufacturing.
They have 105 billion dollars in assets as of 2018 and are the largest writer of workers’ compensation insurance and commercial property insurance in the United States.
Why should You Choose Travelers Small Business Insurance?
If you have unique business insurance needs and prefer working with an agent, Travelers might be a good choice for you since they have a huge assortment of business insurance products and distribute these products exclusively through their intensive agent network. Whatever your business insurance needs are, Travelers will have them for you. Let’s see what else they have to offer:
- They have a huge assortment of business insurance products
- Over 160 years in the business means they have the experience that can help your business
- Travelers also has car insurance, home insurance, renters’ insurance, condo insurance and boat insurance, so it’s possible to get all your insurance needs met with Travelers.
- They have an extensive network of dedicated insurance agents, which is great if working with a person is important to you.
- Not all coverage options are available in all states.
- Travelers only garners 2 out of five stars in J.D. Power’s 2019 commercial insurance, which is under the industry average
- Some customers complained about billing and claims payments
Small Business Insurance Products Offered by Travelers Small Business Insurance
Traveler’s offers a multitude of policies for business owners, including:
- Business Owners Policy
- Workers compensation
- Small business data breach
- Commercial auto
- Professional liability
- Commercial Umbrella
- Management liability
- Business income and extra expense insurance (replaces your income and expenses while your property is being repaired/replaced)
- Employment practices liability
- Commercial general liability insurance
- Commercial property insurance
How Much does Travelers Business Insurance Cost?
Getting a quote from Travelers involves putting in the type of business you do and your zip code. You will then be referred to an agent, who can help you figure out what business insurance you need. According to Traveler’s website, your rates will be affected by:
- Type of business (some businesses are inherently more risky than others)
- Unique coverage needs, customized to your particular operation
- History of insurance claims
- Size of your business
Financial Strength Rating of Travelers Small Business Insurance
A.M. Best gives the Travelers insurance companies an A++ (Superior), the highest rating possible. You want an insurance company with good financial strength so you know they are capable of paying out claims.
Customer satisfaction Rating of Travelers Small Business Insurance
The BBB rates them an A+, and they are accredited by the BBB. Their scores on J.D.Power’s 2020 commercial insurance survey are a bit lower than average for overall satisfaction. They rank 6th out of the top 10 small business insurance companies in the study, which is a big jump from the 11th position they ranked last year (2019). 2020 was a tough year for small businesses and their insurance companies due to the pandemic. The fact that Travelers was able to increase their rank in the reputable study in 20202 shows that they were able to stand with their customers and gain their trust during the challenging time.
Consumer Complaints Rating of Travelers Small Business Insurance
The BBB gives them an A+, however, they are 380 customer complaints about Travelers on the BBB website. Most of them cite things like claims payouts and customer service. Make sure you understand what your policy covers so that there are no misunderstandings when it comes time to file a claim.
Digital Experience Rating of Travelers Small Business Insurance
Travelers has an app called MyTravelers for business, which allows customers to:
- Access all of their documents
- Pay their bill
- Report a claim
- Check a claim status
- Link and view multiple accounts
- Obtain certificates of insurance in real-time
The website for the Travelers is easy to navigate. It’s mostly black and white punctuated with the umbrella-red of the logo. There are helpful articles on general liability insurance, umbrella insurance, and other industry-specific topics. They also have some general articles on ergonomics and distracted walking. On the bottom of each page you’re invited to click the red button to find an agent.
As far as finding a quote for your small business, if you put in your industry and your business type, Travelers will recommend insurance products for you, but to get an actual quote you have to put in you zip code and press the red button that says “Find an agent.”
Here’s what happened when we tried to get a quote for our pet sitting business:
If you have unique insurance needs, or if you want your individual and business insurance all under one red umbrella, Travelers might work for you. Travelers has many insurance products, such as cyber, inland marine, environmental liability—if you have specialized insurance needs, they might work for you. Since they have a large network of agents, your experience might only be as good as your agent. On the other hand, it is nice to have a person to talk to about your business and your claims. Travelers might be worth a look for you.