As a small business owner, it’s important to protect your business from unexpected problems. You’ll need to look into small business insurance so that your assets are protected. You’ll want to consider quotes from many different insurance companies so you can get the best one for you. Here, we take a look at Liberty Mutual and what insurance products they can offer you and why they might be a good choice for your business.
- Pros and Cons
- Small Business Insurance Products Offered: Score – 90/100
- Financial Strength Rating: Score – 85/100
- Customer Satisfaction Rating: Score – 80/100
- Consumer Complaints Rating: Score – 60/100
- Digital Experience Rating: Score – 70/100
- They have an extensive network of agents and brokers, so you can work with someone who knows your specific industry
- If your business is in the Northwest, they have group programs where similar businesses can join together for a better rate on their insurance policies.
- You can reduce the cost of your coverage, as well as increase safety, by taking advantage of their SafetyNet. This is a selection of videos designed to improve safety and reduce risks. You enter your policy number to get credit for watching the videos.
- A wide-range of policies serve many businesses of different sizes and industries.
- Claims can be filed 24/7
- Liberty Mutual works through agents, so your agent is familiar with your needs.
- Since Liberty Mutual only sells insurance through agents, it inflates the costs somewhat.
- It’s very difficult to get a small business insurance quote online
- Ratings from J.D. Power are average to below average.
Small Business Insurance Products Offered by Liberty Mutual Small Business Insurance
Liberty Mutual offers a solid menu of choices, including:
- Workers’ Compensation: (also called Assigned Risk)
- Business Owner’s Policy: A Business Owner’s Policy combines business property and general liability insurance into one policy, saving you money over buying the policies separately. Sometimes Business Owner’s Policy also include business interruption insurance
- Commercial Auto: Protects your company vehicles and your employees. They have a risk control service, called Decision Driving, which provides driver safety training for you and your drivers. They also have an app that you can upload photos of damage to your vehicle.
- General Liability: Protects you and your employees in the event you are involved in a lawsuit.
- Commercial Property: Property insurance covers your property and the contents of the property.
- Cyber security: This protects you against hackers, data breaches, and privacy violations.
- Third-party Administration: Offers claims management, managed care, and risk control for businesses with more complex risk management needs.
- Inland Marine: Property insurance protects your assets while they are on your property. If you have to move them to do business, as in landscaping equipment, you need inland marine coverage to protect said equipment while it’s at a different location.
- Equipment Breakdown Insurance: Insurance in case of losses due to equipment failure.
Financial Strength Rating of Liberty Mutual Small Business Insurance
Liberty Mutual is the fifth largest global property and commercial insurer. They earn an A rating on A.M. Best which is considered Excellent (Superior is the highest rating). It’s important to have a company with a strong financial rating so you know they won’t struggle to pay claims.
Customer Satisfaction Rating of Liberty Mutual Small Business Insurance
According to the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Small Commercial Insurance Study, Liberty Mutual ranks 4th out of the top 10 business insurance companies, earning four out of five stars (called “Power circles”). Their overall satisfaction score is 850, which is above the industry average of 836.
This is a significant jump from their 10th rank in last year (2019) in the same study. 2020 was a tough year for small businesses and their insurance companies. Liberty Mutual has shown that they can partner with their small business customers to go through the challenging time and still gain their customers’ trust.
Customer Complaints Rating of Liberty Mutual Small Business Insurance
Liberty Mutual is an accredited business with the BBB and earns an A rating. There are 1,028 customer complaints on the BBB, most of which center on the perceived mishandling of claims. Some of that may be misinterpretation, but it’s something to be aware of.
The NAIC notes that Liberty Mutual has 294 auto insurance complaints, 67 homeowners complaints, 7 fire, allied lines and CMP complaints, 3 liability and 1 miscellaneous complaint. Most of those concerns are in personal insurance (home and auto) but it’s still something you should be aware of if you decide to go with Liberty Mutual.
Digital Experience Rating of Liberty Mutual Small Business Insurance
Liberty Mutual has a mobile app, where you can pay your bill, track claims, and view your policy documents. They also have articles focusing on the trends of certain industries, such as construction or manufacturing.
To get a quote from Liberty Mutual for small business insurance, it asks you your zip code so that they can refer you to an agent.
Liberty Mutual offers many small business insurance policies which may be perfect for your business. You can’t actually get a quote from them online—you have to call an agent, which many people may be hesitant to do. However, they have a worldwide presence and the financial resources to pay claims. Their “SafetyNet” tool is innovative and can help increase the safety of your business, as well as save you a few dollars. Sometimes it is nice to work with an agent as opposed to a faceless company.