If you’re a business owner shopping around for small business insurance, you’ll want to consider and get quotes from a variety of insurance companies. One such company is Chubb, which is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurance company in the world.
If you buy a policy through Chubb, you can either do it entirely online or work with an agent. They have policies for general liability, workers’ compensation, property liability and Cyber security insurance to protect your small … or even not-so-small … business.
Let’s look at the pros and cons of buying coverage with Chubb.
- In the 2019 small business commercial insurance survey by J.D. Power, Chubb ranked third highest in satisfaction.
- They earned 5/5 in interaction (this means whenever the customer interacted with anyone from the company—online, by phone, or through an agent)
- They have a wide array of policy offerings—over 30. Whatever you’re in the business of doing, Chubb has a policy for you.
- They have unique policy offerings such as product recall and railroad insurance products.
- They score A++ (Superior) on A.M.Best’s rating of financial strength, which means they have the financial backing to meet claims.
- They have both general business policies and industry-specific policies.
- When you work with a specific agent over time, that person will get to know you and your business.
- Claims satisfaction score is only average
- Chubb Insurance is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
- While they do offer some personal policies, historically they’ve targeted customers in higher tax brackets. You might not have the option of bundling all of your policies with Chubb.
- Chubb sells policies through agents, which might increase the prices to some extent
- They are not very forthcoming about rates—you have to answer a lot of questions about your business and then they will give you a quote.
Small Business Insurance Products Offered by Chubb Small Business Insurance
Chubb business insurance offers many insurance products a small business might need, such as:
- General liability insurance
- Business Owners’ Policy (BOP) which combines general liability insurance with property liability insurance)
- Workers’ compensation
- Commercial Auto
- Management and professional liability insurance
- Cyber enterprise risk management
- Umbrella and excess liability
- Foreign Package (specifically for small businesses engaged in international commerce)
Financial Strength Rating for Chubb Small Business Insurance
Chubb scores an A++ (Superior) on A.M.Best’s rating of financial strength, which means they have the financial backing to meet claims. They have more than $174 billion in assets, with $38 billion in gross premiums in 2018.
Customer Satisfaction Rating for Chubb Small Business Insurance
According to the J.D. Power study, Chubb earns average or better scores across most categories. They earn four out of five stars for overall satisfaction, five out of five for interaction and four out of five stars for pricing satisfaction, policy offerings, and billing and payment. The only category they lag in a bit is claims satisfaction (three out of five stars).
Consumer Complaints Rating for Chubb Small Business Insurance
According the BBB, there were 108 outstanding complaints against the Chubb Insurance company in the last three years. Of those, 39 were closed in the last 12 months. Because Chubb is mostly in the commercial insurance business, it’s possible that complaints are not easily found online. On the other hand, their customer satisfaction scores are generally good, so there might not be much out there.
Digital Experience Rating for Chubb Small Business Insurance
Chubb offers a wide range of digital capabilities for small business owners. You can report a claim, pay your bill, or review all of your policy documents online.
If you need help, or don’t understand some aspect of the coverage you’re considering, Chubb has explanations with examples. They also have helpful articles on how to protect yourself from hackers and where to hide your valuables. The website is pretty easy to navigate and find the information you need.
Here’s the process when you are trying to get a quote from Chubb. In the following example, we said we were an advertising and marketing firm seeking a business owners policy.
After this screenshot, it asked us to fill in:
- Name of our business
- If we had filed bankruptcy in the last five years
- If any policy or coverage had ever been cancelled or non-renewed
- If we owned our own building
- Year the business started
- If we were a partnership, corporation, individual/sole proprietor or llc
- Estimated payroll
- Number of employees
- Square footage at our location
- Date we would like the policy to start
- If any employees or owners used their personal car for business more than twice a week or provided regularly delivery services
After that, it presented us with three options: Silver, Gold, and Platinum
Chubb is a solid choice for business insurance. One nice thing about Chubb is that if you become a runaway success, with millions of dollars in revenue, Chubb can accommodate you. They have a lot of commercial experience and they also insure a lot of different industries, so they should be familiar with the needs of your particular business. On the other hand, they are not known as a budget insurance company, so you may want to shop around if price is a determining factor for you.