There are many commercial truck insurance providers in Washington D.C., but not all of them are created equal. You need to find an insurer that understands the unique needs of your business and can provide you with the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
At BravoPolicy, we are dedicated to helping truck drivers and trucking businesses in the Washington D.C. area find the right commercial truck insurance policy for their needs. We have years of experience providing coverage for all types of trucks, from box trucks to semi-trucks, and we can work with you to create a policy that fits your budget and protects your business.
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable commercial truck insurance policy, here are our recommendations of the 4 best providers in Washington D.C metro area.
- 4 best commercial truck insurance companies in Washington, DC
- Who needs commercial truck insurance in Washington, DC?
- Commercial truck insurance requirements in Washington, DC
- How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Washington, DC?
- What factors impact commercial truck insurance costs in Washington, DC?
- How to get cheap commercial truck insurance in Washington, DC
- Get commercial truck insurance quotes online in Washington, DC
- Commercial truck insurance for different types of owner operators in Washington, DC
- What does commercial truck insurance cover?
4 best commercial truck insurance companies in Washington, DC
Companies in the nation’s capital that depend on trucks for their livelihoods have many options when it comes to getting commercial truck insurance. We’ve done the research for you to come up with the top six providers for different reasons. We also explain the pros and cons of each.
- The Hartford: Best for coverage from an ethical insurer
- Progressive: Best discounted coverage
- Simply Business: Best for comparing multiple quotes
- Tivly: Best for getting coverage from experienced agents
The Hartford: Best for coverage from an ethical insurer
- Known for highly ethical business practices.
- World-class claims processing.
- Easy to customize coverage.
- Limited online capabilities.
- Not always the cheapest insurance provider.
- Systems aren’t as good as those from newer insurers
Progressive: Best discounted coverage
- Offers many discounts that can reduce premiums significantly.
- Largest commercial vehicle insurer in the United States.
- Highly experienced in commercial truck coverage.
- All companies and drivers may not qualify for discounts.
- Doesn’t offer coverage to large trucking companies.
- If you need additional types of business insurance, you can buy them through Progressive, but they will be underwritten by other insurers.
Simply Business: Best for comparing multiple quotes
- Simple way to get several quotes at once.
- Agents can help you find discounts.
- Pay premiums monthly, every six months, or once a year.
- Insurance isn’t provided directly by Simply Business.
- Must file claims through your insurance provider, not Simply Business.
- You can only get quotes from insurers affiliated with Simply Business.
Tivly: Best for getting coverage from experienced agents
- Large network of agents is available to help you out.
- Easy quote process.
- Good for high-risk truckers.
- No tools for managing your coverage online.
- No mobile app.
- Can cost more to get coverage from Tivly than other providers.
Who needs commercial truck insurance in Washington, DC?
Anyone who needs to drive a commercial truck in Washington, D.C. should have commercial truck insurance. This type of insurance is designed to protect the driver and anyone else who may be affected by the truck’s operation. It can help cover medical expenses, property damage, and other costs in the event of an accident. Commercial truck insurance is legally required in Washington DC. You must have it to drive a commercial truck legally in the DC metro area.
The types of businesses that need commercial truck insurance in Washington DC are trucking companies, freight companies, towing companies, delivery services using box trucks like moving, and cargo companies. These businesses rely on trucks to transport goods and materials, so it is essential that they have adequate insurance coverage in case of an accident. Commercial truck insurance can provide peace of mind and protect these businesses from costly damages.
Commercial truck insurance requirements in Washington, DC
All vehicles in Washington, Dc, including commercial trucks, are required to have at least 25/50/10 in insurance coverage, at the bare minimum. This means $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident and $10,000 in property damage.
Commercial trucks hauling specialized cargo need additional insurance. Below are the minimum requirements in Washington, Dc:
|Cargo that you haul||Minimum liability coverage requirements in Washington, Dc|
If you cross the state lines, you need to have coverage limits required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The current FMCSA minimum requirements depend on the types of cargo and the size of the truck. Below are the current minimum requirements:
- $300,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles under 10,001 pounds
- $750,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles over 10,001 pounds
- $1,000,000 for oil carried by for-hire and private carriers
- $5,000,000 for other hazardous materials
How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Washington, DC?
The average cost of commercial truck insurance in Washington, Dc is $11,124 per year, or $927 per month. In most cases, truck drivers in Washington, Dc pay premiums of between $7,219 and $13,290.
That is the cost for a 42-year-old trucker driving a semi truck and having a good driving record. The policy includes trucking primary liability, non-trucking liability, trucking physical damage, and cargo truck insurance coverage. Below are the average costs breakdown by coverage:
|Commercial truck coverages||Average costs in Washington, Dc|
|Trucking primary liability||$468 per month|
|Trucking physical damage||$319 per month|
|Bobtail coverage||$39 per month|
|Truck cargo insurance||$101 per month|
These are just averages though: your costs may be higher or lower. Commercial truck insurance rates are highly individual. Be sure to shop around with a few companies or work with a top broker to compare several quotes to choose the best and the cheapest one for your trucking business.
What factors impact commercial truck insurance costs in Washington, DC?
How much you pay for commercial truck insurance in Washington, Dc depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- Years of driving experience. Drivers with more experience (and who have good driving records) will pay less than newer drivers
- Years of experience as a trucker: Commercial truck driving is a little different than just driving a regular vehicle, so your years of experience in the trucking industry will impact how much you pay
- How far you drive: generally, if you drive more than 50 miles in a trip, or if you cross state lines, you’ll pay more for insurance.
- Claims history: if you have any claims at all, you will pay more for insurance. Even claims that weren’t your fault, the insurance company will still see you as a higher risk than someone who has never made a claim.
- Age of your truck: Newer trucks are worth more, and therefore cost more to insure
- Weight of your truck: heavier trucks also cost more to insure. The insurance company knows that heavier trucks tend to do more damage if they are involved in an accident
- Type of cargo: federal regulations dictate how much you pay if you cross state lines, but even if you don’t, some types of cargo cost more to insure.
- Location: some locations have higher crime rates, and therefore if your truck is parked there, you’ll pay more for insurance.
How to get cheap commercial truck insurance in Washington, DC
Commercial truck insurance in Washington, Dc is expensive. But there are ways to save money on your truck insurance policy. Below are a few practical tips to lower your insurance costs:
The best way to save money on commercial truck insurance is to shop around
Different companies will vary by hundreds of dollars in insurance quotes. The reason for this is different insurance companies weigh different factors differently. One company may place a high emphasis on location, whereas another may weigh the age of your truck more heavily.
Maintain your vehicles
Have a regular maintenance schedule for your truck to make sure it is in good shape. Always do a pre-trip vehicle inspection, so that you’re not surprised by mechanical difficulties, or worse, an accident.
Ask about discounts
Some companies, like Progressive, will give you a discount if you enroll in their Snapshot program. This is a device that you install in your vehicle and it evaluates your driving.
Other companies offer additional discount programs that you may be qualified for. Always ask the agents or the brokers for discounts. Even if you are not eligible for the discount now, you may be in the near future.
Get commercial truck insurance quotes online in Washington, DC
Getting commercial truck quotes can be trickier than you would think. The only company that consistently gives an online quote without a hassle is Progressive. biBERK and THREE also provide commercial truck insurance online although they may not be available in all 50 states and they may not cover a comprehensive range of trucks. However, it is likely that their quotes are cheaper than Progressive’s since their policies are usually with the lower coverage limits. However, there are insurance brokers that can offer online quotes as well. Companies like:
- Simply Business
- Smart Financial
And possibly some regional brokers will be able to help you by presenting you with several quotes. It’s worthwhile to try at least one or two of them.
Commercial truck insurance for different types of owner operators in Washington, DC
Whether you are a new truck owner operator or an experienced trucker part of a fleet, whether you drive a 18-wheeler, a tow truck, a dump truck, or a box truck, you must have commercial truck insurance in Washington, Dc.
Learn more about commercial truck insurance for different types of trucks and different types of truck drivers:
- The best commercial truck insurance for new drivers
- The best commercial truck insurance for new authorities
- The best commercial truck insurance for new ventures
- The best commercial truck insurance for truck fleets
- The best tow truck insurance companies
- The best semi truck insurance companies
- The best dump truck insurance companies
- The best box truck insurance companies
What does commercial truck insurance cover?
Commercial truck insurance protects truck drivers and trucking businesses from risks associated with driving their trucks and running their trucking businesses. There are several coverages included in commercial truck insurance.
As we discussed above, trucking primary liability insurance covers bodily injuries and property damages caused to the other driver and vehicle in an accident with your truck.
In addition, truckers and trucking businesses in Washington, Dc can get other coverage to protect themselves and their businesses. These coverages are not required by laws, but highly recommended:
- Trucking physical damage coverage to protect your own truck if it gets damaged in an accident. Learn more at the best trucking physical damage insurance companies
- Bobtail insurance to cover you when you drive your drive without a trailer attached to it. Learn more at bobtail insurance cost and the best bobtail insurance companies.
- Non-trucking liability insurance covers you when you drive your truck for personal purposes. Learn more at the best non-trucking liability insurance companies
- Motor truck cargo insurance covers risks associated with the cargo that you haul. Those can be losses due to collision, theft, fire, water damage, refrigeration breakdown, or equipment failure. Learn more at the best motor truck cargo insurance companies.
- Trucking general liability insurance covers third party’s bodily injuries and property damages caused by the operations of the trucking business but not associated with an accident. Learn more at the best trucking general liability insurance companies.
- Workers comp insurance for truckers covers truck drivers if they are injured or getting sick while they are at work. It pays for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other related costs. Learn more at the best workers comp insurance for truckers.