Now that you know what general liability insurance is and what it covers and how much it costs on average, you’re ready to find the right insurance company for you. Below are a list of six best companies that offer general liability, and what they specialize in:
- Hiscox: Best for Tiny Businesses with Cheapest Price
- The Hartford: Best for Customer Service
- Zurich: Best for Customer Satisfaction and Reviews
- Berkshire Hathaway Guard: Best for Large Retail Companies
- Traverlers: Best for Coverage Customization and Multiple Policy Discount
- Next Insurance: Best for Buying Policies Online and Overall Digital Experience
Hiscox: Best for Tiny Businesses with Cheapest Price
Hiscox offers general liability insurance, with special rates for small businesses. They insure a wide range of professions, and have a handy rate calculator on their website so you’ll be able to get a quote quickly. Hiscox is known for their competitive quote prices. A sample quote for a hot dog stand business was about $600 annually, or $47 a month. If your company is tiny, Hiscox could be your best bet. They have a Small Business unit dedicated especially to working with small businesses with fewer than ten employees, and have an “A” rating by A.M. Best, a national credit ratings company.
The Hartford: Best for Customer Service
The Hartford ranked best overall on several business lists, The Hartford offers good rates for small businesses, skilled specialists, and discounts when you bundle several insurance policies together. The Hartford was given an “A+” rating by Standard and Poor’s, a financial services company, and also has a dedicated small business unit. You’ll likely have to call The Hartford to get a quote for your business, but they have a skilled team of representatives ready to answer your questions.
Zurich: Best for Customer Satisfaction and Reviews
Zurich offers flexible payment options in the form of cash, credit, check, and online payment. They offer many types of insurance, including general liability, and have over 100 years of experience. Zurich’s website has plenty of information, but you’ll probably need to call them to get an accurate quote for your business. They have a dedicated helpline which should be able to answer your question quickly and efficiently. Zurich also has the best customer reviews and customer satisfaction of any of the companies listed.
Berkshire Hathaway Guard: Best for Large Retail Companies
Berkshire Hathaway Guard is known for its focus on small-to-medium sized businesses, Berkshire Hathaway Guard includes safety training programs with its coverage. BHG has an “A+” A.M Best Rating, and strong ratings from other financial institutions. It also allows customers to report a claim at anytime, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can fill out their online form, and a representative will contact you with a quote. Or, you can visit their policyholder service center for more immediate assistance. Berkshire Hathaway Guard is geared toward larger retail companies, so if your business is small you may want to shop around before deciding on coverage.
Traverlers: Best for Coverage Customization and Multiple Policy Discount
Travelers has robust customization options, allowing you to tailor your coverage to best suit your business’s needs. They also have over 160 years experience, and a 24/7 claims center and mobile app. Travelers has an easy online form to help you connect with an agent who can find the right coverage for your business. Travelers has an “A++” rating from A.M. Best, and a thorough, informative online quote system. Travelers also has great bundles and multi-policy discounts.
Next Insurance: Best for Buying Policies Online and Overall Digital Experience
Next Insurance is an online insurance company geared toward entrepreneurs and small businesses. Completely online, Next offers free monthly payments and 24/7 access. Next uses new technology to quickly find you the best quotes, and can create custom policies for your small business. In addition, they have one of the fastest online quote generators of any insurance company online. If you’re starting a small business, Next Insurance could be your best bet.
General Liability Insurance: The Basics
Still not entirely sure what general liability insurance does? Here are some quick, handy facts for you to reference when making your decision:
- General liability insurance protects your business against claims for bodily injury to clients, damage to client property, and personal injury costs to clients.
- General liability does NOT cover injuries to you, your employees, or damages to your property caused by carelessness.
- If your business advertises, you’ll want general liability insurance to protect against claims of slander, libel, or copyright infringement.
- You’ll likely want to bundle Workers Comp insurance along with general liability. You’re likely to save money, and you’ll have coverage in case one of your employees is injured on the job.
- General liability will cover your legal expenses if you’re ever sued by a client.
>>MORE: Explore our guides to the top providers of general liability insurance in some key states
- Top 6 Providers of General Liability Insurance in California
- Top 6 Companies for General Liability Insurance in Florida
- Top 5 Providers of General Liability Insurance in New York
- Top 6 Providers of General Liability Insurance in New Jersey