Commercial truck insurance is crucial for the Connecticut economy. The trucking industry is responsible for transporting goods and materials throughout the state and plays a vital role in keeping businesses running. Trucking companies need to be able to rely on their insurance coverage to protect them from costly accidents and injuries. That’s why it’s important to find a reliable commercial truck insurance provider in Connecticut.
We recommend the 5 best providers of commercial truck insurance in Connecticut for your consideration and discuss other relevant topics that you will find helpful in finding the right truck insurance provider for you.
- 6 best commercial truck insurance companies in Connecticut
- Who needs commercial truck insurance in Connecticut?
- Commercial truck insurance requirements in Connecticut
- How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Connecticut?
- What factors impact commercial truck insurance costs in Connecticut?
- How to get cheap commercial truck insurance in Connecticut
- Get commercial truck insurance quotes online in Connecticut
- Commercial truck insurance for different types of owner operators in Connecticut
- What does commercial truck insurance cover?
5 best commercial truck insurance companies in Connecticut
Businesses in Connecticut that depend on trucks for their livelihoods have plenty of choices when it comes to getting commercial truck coverage. We’ve done the hard work for you to come up with the top six providers in the state for different reasons and the pros and cons of each.
- Progressive: Best overall in Connecticut
- biBERK: Best for low-cost coverage
- Simply Business: Best for comparing several quotes in one place
- THREE: Best for simple yet comprehensive business coverage
- Tivly: Best for working with knowledgeable agents
Progressive: Best overall in Connecticut
Progressive is the leader in the commercial truck insurance industry. They insure most commercial trucks and commercial autos in the industry. That comes with the most experience. Progressive has a good reputation and provides a lot of discount programs to help reduce costs.
- Largest commercial vehicle insurance company in the U.S.
- Extensive experience in commercial truck coverage.
- Easy to get a quote online or to work with an experienced agent
- Offer a lot of discount programs to help reduce premiums for their customers
- Progressive is known for its discounts, which can save businesses money on their insurance, but all companies and drivers may not qualify.
- Progressive doesn’t cover large trucking companies.
- If you need additional business coverages, you can purchase them through Progressive, but they will be backed by other insurers.
biBERK: Best for low-cost coverage
biBERK is a digital carrier specializing in serving small businesses. They are a part of the Berkshire Hathaway’s family. So they do have a good reputation and excellent financial strength rating. biBERK focuses on selling insurance directly to small businesses through a completely digital experience, which helps cut costs and reduce rates for their customers.
- Backed by the financially solid Berkshire Hathaway family of companies.
- Possible to save up to 20 percent on coverage.
- Download copies of your insurance certificate online anytime.
- Best for simple insurance needs.
- Difficult to customize coverage.
- May not be able to get coverage for non-standard trucks.
Simply Business: Best for comparing several quotes in one place
Simply Business is an insurance brokerage firm. They specialize in serving small businesses. Simply Business partners with 30+ carriers. They are the best option if you want to compare several quotes in one place to find the cheapest rate for you.
- Able to compare several quotes at once.
- Agents can help you find discounts.
- Flexible payment terms
- Able to get access to carriers providing low-cost coverage which may not be accessible otherwise
- Good consumer satisfaction rating on trustpilot
- Insurance isn’t supplied directly by Simply Business.
- Must file claims through your provider, not Simply Business.
- You can only get quotes from Simply Business partners.
THREE: Best for simple yet comprehensive business coverage
THREE is another subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, so they also have a good reputation and excellent financial strength rating. THREE’s small business insurance policy is unique. They believe that all small businesses should just have one comprehensive policy protecting them from all possible risks. As such, THREE provides small trucking businesses with one comprehensive policy covering general liability, commercial property, and commercial truck liability. Their policies are also affordable.
- Several different types of insurance are available under one policy.
- Licensed agents can answer your questions.
- Easy to purchase comprehensive coverage.
- Limited online capabilities.
- Unable to purchase standalone commercial truck insurance.
- Limited ability to customize coverage.
Tivly: Best for working with knowledgeable agents
Tivly is another small business insurance brokerage firm. They believe that small business owners should have sufficient advice and guidance to buy the right coverage at the right price for their businesses. Experienced and knowledgeable agents are in good position to help small business owners in this process.
- Expansive network of knowledgeable and experienced agents can help you out.
- Easy quote process.
- Good for high-risk truckers.
- No tools for managing your coverage online.
- No mobile app.
Who needs commercial truck insurance in Connecticut?
Anyone who drives a truck for work in Connecticut, with the exception of commuting back and forth to your job. If you try to use your personal auto insurance for your commercial autos or trucks, the insurance company won’t cover it. Even for a commercial truck, like a dump truck or a tractor trailer, you need non-trucking liability coverage for those occasions when you aren’t using your truck to haul anything.
Commercial truck insurance requirements in Connecticut
All vehicles in Connecticut are required to have a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage, whether it’s for business or personal driving. Connecticut’s insurance requirements are:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
- $25,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per person
- $50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per accident.
Your insurer might recommend higher liability coverage limits based on the types of vehicles you own and how they’re used. Semis, tractor trailers and any vehicles with a Connecticut Department of Transportation serial number will need additional liability coverage, depending on the vehicle, how it’s used, and the type of cargo you haul.
Here are the minimum requirements in Connecticut:
|Cargo that you haul||Minimum liability coverage requirements in Connecticut|
If you drive outside of Connecticut, you need to have coverage as required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The current FMCSA minimum requirements depend on the types of cargo and the size of the truck:
- $300,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles under 10,001 pounds
- $750,000 for non-hazardous freight in vehicles over 10,001 pounds
- $1,000,000 for oil carried by for-hire and private carriers
- $5,000,000 for other hazardous materials.
How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Connecticut?
The average cost of commercial truck insurance in Connecticut is $12,936 per year, or $1,078 per month. In most cases, truck drivers in Connecticut pay premiums of between $8,290 and $15,186.
That is the cost for a 40-year-old trucker driving a 26-foot box truck and having a good driving record. The policy includes trucking primary liability, non-trucking liability, trucking physical damage, and cargo truck insurance coverage. Below are the average costs breakdown by coverage:
|Commercial truck coverages||Average costs in Connecticut|
|Trucking primary liability||$521 per month|
|Trucking physical damage||$338 per month|
|Bobtail coverage||$47 per month|
|Truck cargo insurance||$172 per month|
These are just averages though: your costs may be higher or lower. Commercial truck insurance rates are highly individual. Be sure to shop around with a few companies or work with a top broker to compare several quotes to choose the best and the cheapest one for your trucking business.
What factors impact commercial truck insurance costs in Connecticut?
How much you pay for commercial truck insurance in Connecticut depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- Years of driving experience. Drivers with more experience (and who have good driving records) will pay less than newer drivers
- Years of experience as a trucker: Commercial truck driving is a little different than just driving a regular vehicle, so your years of experience in the trucking industry will impact how much you pay
- How far you drive: generally, if you drive more than 50 miles in a trip, or if you cross state lines, you’ll pay more for insurance.
- Claims history: if you have any claims at all, you will pay more for insurance. Even claims that weren’t your fault, the insurance company will still see you as a higher risk than someone who has never made a claim.
- Age of your truck: Newer trucks are worth more, and therefore cost more to insure
- Weight of your truck: heavier trucks also cost more to insure. The insurance company knows that heavier trucks tend to do more damage if they are involved in an accident
- Type of cargo: federal regulations dictate how much you pay if you cross state lines, but even if you don’t, some types of cargo cost more to insure.
- Location: some locations have higher crime rates, and therefore if your truck is parked there, you’ll pay more for insurance.
How to get cheap commercial truck insurance in Connecticut
Commercial truck insurance in Connecticut is expensive. But there are ways to save money on your truck insurance policy. Below are a few practical tips to lower your insurance costs:
The best way to save money on commercial truck insurance is to shop around
Different companies will vary by hundreds of dollars in insurance quotes. The reason for this is different insurance companies weigh different factors differently. One company may place a high emphasis on location, whereas another may weigh the age of your truck more heavily.
Maintain your vehicles
Have a regular maintenance schedule for your truck to make sure it is in good shape. Always do a pre-trip vehicle inspection, so that you’re not surprised by mechanical difficulties, or worse, an accident.
Ask about discounts
Some companies, like Progressive, will give you a discount if you enroll in their Snapshot program. This is a device that you install in your vehicle and it evaluates your driving.
Other companies offer additional discount programs that you may be qualified for. Always ask the agents or the brokers for discounts. Even if you are not eligible for the discount now, you may be in the near future.
Get commercial truck insurance quotes online in Connecticut
Getting commercial truck quotes can be trickier than you would think. The only company that consistently gives an online quote without a hassle is Progressive. biBERK and THREE also provide commercial truck insurance online although they may not be available in all 50 states and they may not cover a comprehensive range of trucks. However, it is likely that their quotes are cheaper than Progressive’s since their policies are usually with the lower coverage limits. However, there are insurance brokers that can offer online quotes as well. Companies like:
- Simply Business
- Smart Financial
And possibly some regional brokers will be able to help you by presenting you with several quotes. It’s worthwhile to try at least one or two of them.
Commercial truck insurance for different types of owner operators in Connecticut
Whether you are a new truck owner operator or an experienced trucker part of a fleet, whether you drive a 18-wheeler, a tow truck, a dump truck, or a box truck, you must have commercial truck insurance in Connecticut.
Learn more about commercial truck insurance for different types of trucks and different types of truck drivers:
- The best commercial truck insurance for new drivers
- The best commercial truck insurance for new authorities
- The best commercial truck insurance for new ventures
- The best commercial truck insurance for truck fleets
- The best tow truck insurance companies
- The best semi truck insurance companies
- The best dump truck insurance companies
- The best box truck insurance companies
What does commercial truck insurance cover?
Commercial truck insurance protects truck drivers and trucking businesses from risks associated with driving their trucks and running their trucking businesses. There are several coverages included in commercial truck insurance.
As we discussed above, trucking primary liability insurance covers bodily injuries and property damages caused to the other driver and vehicle in an accident with your truck.
In addition, truckers and trucking businesses in Connecticut can get other coverage to protect themselves and their businesses. These coverages are not required by laws, but highly recommended:
- Trucking physical damage coverage to protect your own truck if it gets damaged in an accident. Learn more at the best trucking physical damage insurance companies
- Bobtail insurance to cover you when you drive your drive without a trailer attached to it. Learn more at bobtail insurance cost and the best bobtail insurance companies.
- Non-trucking liability insurance covers you when you drive your truck for personal purposes. Learn more at the best non-trucking liability insurance companies
- Motor truck cargo insurance covers risks associated with the cargo that you haul. Those can be losses due to collision, theft, fire, water damage, refrigeration breakdown, or equipment failure. Learn more at the best motor truck cargo insurance companies.
- Trucking general liability insurance covers third party’s bodily injuries and property damages caused by the operations of the trucking business but not associated with an accident. Learn more at the best trucking general liability insurance companies.
Workers comp insurance for truckers covers truck drivers if they are injured or getting sick while they are at work. It pays for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other related costs. Learn more at the best workers comp insurance for truckers.
No comment yet, add your voice below!